Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phillipshead Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2013, 09:03 AM
    Symmons shower handle won't turn all the way off
    Hi all. I've seen some similar questions but I wanted to ask mine specifically. All of a sudden the last couple of days it seems like the shower handle won't turn far enough to shut water completely off. It stops just short and there's a drip that keeps going. I haven't tried anything yet because I wanted some advice first! Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 09:34 AM
    Hi PH

No getting around it... need to remove the handle and take out the TA-10 spindle assembly. Most likely the metal ring holding the cold washer has loosened and needs to be retightened onto the stem assembly (TA-10... see image). In most case like this I just replace the whole TA-10 (available at all home improvement stores).

While the TA-10 is out, inspect the seats inside the valve, pulse the water on/off to clear the unit and then reassemble everything.

The only real trick to these is that when you remove and reinstall the TA-10 you MUST have the handle in the WARM position (not at cold and not at hot... right in the middle), OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    Attached Images

phillipshead Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi PH

No getting around it...need to remove the handle and take out the TA-10 spindle assembly. Most likely the metal ring holding the cold washer has loosened and needs to be retightened onto the stem assembly (TA-10...see image). In most case like this I just replace the whole TA-10 (available at all home improvement stores).

While the TA-10 is out, inspect the seats inside the valve, pulse the water on/off to clear the unit and then reassemble everything.

The only real trick to these is that when you remove and reinstall the TA-10 you MUST have the handle in the WARM position (not at cold and not at hot...right in the middle), OK?

Good luck!

Mark
    Hi Mark! I was hoping you would reply! You seem to be very knowledgeable based on the other similar questions you've answered! I'll give it a try and report back! Thank you so much!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 3, 2013, 09:44 AM
    Yup! Seems I am one of the only plumbers online to work with this valve! I've been installing it about 35years now, so hopefully, I'm spot on regarding the problem!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Symmons Temptrol Shower Handle Stuck [ 21 Answers ]

I have a Symmons Temptrol shower and am trying to replace the diverter (part #TA-25A). I unscrewed the screw in the center of the handle (as well as the other screws on the face plate) and have not beeen able to remove the handle. It appears that it should pull off once the screw is removed but...

Symmons shower won't turn off. [ 12 Answers ]

Hello all. I thought I posted this question earlier today, but I can't find it anywhere. (sorry if it's a repost) My shower has been leaking for a while, and the water temperature has been slowly changing. I went to the hardware store where they told me I most likely had to change the Symmons...

Symmons temptrol(?) shower w/Brasscraft Handle [ 3 Answers ]

Unidentified bathroom fixtures were installed in the house before we moved in several years ago. The shower controller was recently identified as Symmons by one plumbing veteran (possibly a Temptrol based on the blow-up schematics that I have seen). The handle, which matches the other bathroom...

I snapped the tip off the shower handle. Unable to screw new handle. It's a symmons [ 3 Answers ]

I have a symmons shower faucet. While removing the old shower handle I snapped the tip off where you screw the handle on. There is no way to attach the new shower handle. Help

Symmons Temptrol Shower/Tub Handle - [ 1 Answers ]

I printed off the internet the part breakdwon to my tub/shower one-dial Symmons Temtrol kit as I am trying to stop a slow leak out oif the tub faucet. I removed the screw and cap - and I can't get the handle off - is it hyst suppoosed to pull off once the screw is removed? That is how the...

View more questions Search