Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damguys Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2009, 06:44 PM
    Vibration in house plumbing when any water is turned on
    I just had a new water heater install at my home now when ever I turn any faucet in the house there is a terrible vibration in the water pipes. It doesn't matter if I turn on hot or cold water the vibration is there. When we changed out the water heater we recharged the surge tank on the water heater. If I turn the water off to the water heater and then turn on the cold water I still get the vibration. Any ideas on what is happening? If it is an air lock any ideas to bled it off? I've tried to flush it by opening all my faucets but it didn't help. Any ideas?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2009, 07:02 PM

It appears there is something loose, like interior part in one of your shut off valves. Try to close and open main water valve, also, listen to pressure regulator for noises.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

May 11, 2009, 07:45 PM

I agree with Milo, try that first if it would help if not then you may have air in the system, Open up all the taps in the house at the same time, They just need to be turned on to a slow steady stream, This will open up the whole system to water at once, getting rid of any trapped air in the system, good luck.

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2009, 04:02 AM
    When we changed out the water heater we recharged the surge tank on the water heater. If
    Did you bleed off the pressure before you recharged the tank? What PSI did you charge the tank with? Are you on City water or a pump?
    If city eater do you have a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) installed? What's the house npressure?
    Expansion tanks are pre-charged with a 40 PSI air charge. If the inlet
    Water pressure is higher than 40 PSI, the expansion tank's air pressure
    Must be adjusted to match that pressure but must not be higher than
    80 PSI.
    Let's have some answers and more details. Topm

May 12, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    It appears there is something loose, like interior part in one of your shut off valves. Try to close and open main water valve, also, listen to pressure regulator for noises.
    I'm not sure I know how to use the web site or how to respond to the answer. I am unable to pinpoint the vibration to one particular location all the pipes in the house seem to be rattling. I have returned to the main shut off drained the system several times and filled it slow and fast but no change. I have also shut off or isolated what parts of the house I could to see if I could pin it down but even with the outside water and the hot water off it still rattles.

May 12, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    I agree with Milo, try that first if it would help if not then you may have air in the system, Open up all the taps in the house at the same time, They just need to be turned on to a slow steady stream, This will open up the whole system to water at once, getting rid of any trapped air in the system, good luck.

John
    I can't find anything loose and I have tried to release the air by opening all the faucets but it still persist.
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2009, 06:42 AM
    Please answer my questions. Regards, Tom

May 12, 2009, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Did you bleed off the pressure before you recharged the tank? What PSI did you charge the tank with? Are you on City water or a pump?
    If city eater do you have a PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) installed? What's the house npressure?
    Expansion tanks are pre-charged with a 40 PSI air charge. If the inlet
    water pressure is higher than 40 PSI, the expansion tank's air pressure
    must be adjusted to match that pressure but must not be higher than
    80 PSI.
    Let's have some answers and more details. Topm
    We charged the expansion tank with the house water off and we charged to 40 psi as printed on the tank. We are on city water and there is no PRV. I am not sure of the city pressure but it should not have changed just because I install a water heater. Thanks keep up the suggestions. I am really stumped.

I have also Isolated the laundry room, outside water faucets and the water tank. Still rattles.
    Eternal Plumber

May 12, 2009, 07:16 AM
    I track down vibrations be sound and touch. Where's the sound the loudest and where's the vibration the strongest. Could you isolate each branch and test that way? Regards, Tom

May 12, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Please answer my questions. Regards, Tom
    Where do I go on the web site to answer your quiestions. Apparently I am not getting my answers posted? Please respond if you see this response, I don't know how to answer.
    Plumbing Expert

May 12, 2009, 12:06 PM

Try to close angle stops under each sink. Also under toilets. Open one after the other. Note when the vibration starts. That's the angle stop that has loose parts inside.

Also, it may be loose washer or stem part in your faucet. Does the noise sound with every faucet in the house ?
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 12:12 PM

Follow Milo's instructions it is posible that there may be a loose washer at the end of one of the stems, also have checked your water pressure if not get a water pressure test gauge and check the pressuer it should be 45 to 60 psi, see the image below, thanks.

John
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

May 12, 2009, 12:19 PM

Also... go to your pressure regulator. There is an adjustment screw. Screw it 1/2 turn either In or Out. It will change position of the spring inside that may be producing the noise. If that's so, this adjustment should eliminate the noise.

Let us know how you did...
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2009, 12:23 PM

Milo I think he said that he has no PRV valve see his post #8 that why I suggested to check the water pressure, Thanks.

John

May 12, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    Milo I think he said that he has no PRV valve see his post #8 that why I suggested to check the water pressure, Thanks.

John
    That is correct, there is no PRV. I don't have a pressure gauge until I get to town to purchase one. I did turn off all the waste stops except the tubs and outside water. When I turn on either of these I still get the rattling noise. Also turned of the water heater and drained the pressure off the hot water lines. Still rattles. Don't give up on me and thanks for all the suggestions.

May 12, 2009, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Dolezal View Post
    Try to close angle stops under each sink. Also under toilets. Open one after the other. Note when the vibration starts. That's the angle stop that has loose parts inside.

Also, it may be loose washer or stem part in your faucet. Does the noise sound with every faucet in the house ?
    Yes it rattles with any faucet, inside or outside, hot or cold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing, Shower whistles when turned on [ 4 Answers ]

What makes my shower whistle when I pull up the lever to turn the shower on? If I turn the water to real hot it stops.:eek:

Vibration in the house [ 2 Answers ]

When the outside unit (Trane XB10 Heat Pump) kicks on you can hear a very loud vibration noise in the dining and kitchen area. As I went outside to check this out I had notice that when listening to where the piping goes into the house there is a humming and vibration. The main power cable is tie...

Vibration in plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

What causes a frequent vibration in basement area and seems to radiate through furnace and ducts, and water heater and pipes to septic system (which has an intermediate tank and pump)? Can't isolate the source of the vibration. The vibration is immediately stopped by flushing a toilet?

Water vibration in pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a condo and the only water pressure is by gravity. A water pressure pump has been installed on the top floor to increase pressure and we now have a vibration through out the building when he turns his taps on. This is a new condo constructed entirely of concrete block and it thought...

View more questions Search