Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mrclean's Avatar
    mrclean Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Sep 9, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Replacing sink chrome soldered gate
    Hi, has anyone had to change a sink gate that was soldered into a wall and had to turn the compression fit. Out of the way of a pop-up rod after changing the sink. The chrome pipe can't be heated enough to unsweat it from the copper feed.
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

    Sep 9, 2006, 06:39 AM
    "The chrome pipe can't be heated enough to unsweat it from the copper feed."
    Sure it can. You just have to evacuate all the water out of the pipes first.
    Liquid in pipes act as a heat sink so the pipes won't get hot enough to melt solder.
    What you have soldered to the copper stubout is the chrome trap tail. Since chrome can't be soldered we take a file and file off the chrome until we reach the brass pipe stock underneath. Then we can solder the two together.
    Get all the water out of the pipes and keep running your torch all the way around the solder joint, meanwhile pulling on it until it loosens enough to release it. Map gas will give you a hotter flame then propane although propane will do the job just as well. It will just take a little longer. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mishap in replacing supply valve under sink [ 3 Answers ]

I was replacing the supply valves under my new bathroom sink as the old ones had old fashioned metal connectors that wouldn't work. The old supply valves had a soldered on metal pipe right behind the knob, and I now realize (too late) that that was what I needed to unscrew (probably by cutting off...

Replacing Sink Base, need a double sink? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I just bought my first condo, and immediately changed the appliances (my fridge is now larger than the previous one at 30 inches wide (normal I know). I am not replacing the cabinets. I have limited space on one wall, so I need to DOWNGRADE from a 36 inch SINK BASE to a 33 inch SINK BASE....

Copper drips at soldered joints [ 1 Answers ]

I just had the copper in my kitchen replaced by a plumber. I have been working in the kitchen... getting it ready to have the cabinets installed. I have noticed some joints drip a little bit from the soldered joints. I notice the drops on the concrete. When I touch it to check it, the drips...

View more questions Search