Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dcdestefano's Avatar
    dcdestefano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 16, 2006, 07:56 PM
    New Kitchen Sink
    We recently had a new undermount kitchen sink installed and the drain hole is in the center towards the back of the bottom of the sink. When we went to re-hook up the garbage disposal, we realized that the garbage disposal is now right up against the drain pipe going into the wall. There is no room to hook up the trap or connect the disposal to the drain. Do we need to reroute the drain pipe, or is there something else that we can do?
    questiontoknowledge's Avatar
    questiontoknowledge Posts: 13, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 16, 2006, 08:14 PM
    Without a picture this is a tough one, but you could simply lower the drain hole location. Hopefully, your waste line is PVC so it will be relatively easy to do. If it's still not possible, you will have to re route to the side. Just remember when you do, always keep a slight pitch of at least 1/4 inch per running foot.
    dcdestefano's Avatar
    dcdestefano Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 16, 2006, 08:39 PM
    Thank you for the info. The drain pipe in the wall is not PVC, but our we have a flexible union on that connects to the PVC trap. How do we go about lowering our drain hole?
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

    Dec 16, 2006, 09:43 PM
    I hate to rain on everybodys parade but to lower the stub out would involve removing the sink and cabinet, tearing into the wall allthe way down to the stack and cut the stack twice to lower the sanitary tee that picks up the sink. This would not only involve the plumbers but drywallers, painters and cabinet men to reset the cabinet. It's just not as simple as dropping the stubout with a couple of elbows.
    Turn the disposal until it's pointing mostly to the front to get it away from the stubout. Now cut the trap out and repipe to the disposal if you have the elevation to do so. Charging a sink means charging the drainage also. Good luck, Tom
    questiontoknowledge's Avatar
    questiontoknowledge Posts: 13, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 18, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Yes, turn the disposal, I should have mentioned it but I figured you already tried that.
    If that doesn't work and you are really attached to your disposal, do you feel comfortable doing any or all of these yourself?
    -Removing the drywall with a hand saw
    -Cutting the drainage pipe with a reciproting saw whether it be galvanized steel, cast iron, etc..
    -Drilling holes in the framing to re route the drain line if you need to
    -Fastening a flexible union to the end that you cut and assembling, priming, and gluing PVC, ensuring you have a proper P-Trap to the disposal
    -Installing new drywall, in this case Green board, and finishing it.

    You could save $$ if you can do any or all of this yourself. But if this seems overwhelming the skinnier/shorter the plumber, the better to minimize the items needed to be moved out of the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

The water will come out of the side spray but not out of the faucet. Please help

Kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

My husband took the pipe apart under the sink and cleaned them, now he can't get them back together, can you tell him how or send a digram? It's a normal sink.

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 1 Answers ]

I have moved into an apartment where the kitchen sink was put in as an afterthought and as such was not vented in any way. Is there a way to simply tee off from the drain and run a short stretch of PVC under the basin of the sink and up to above the level of the drain in order to vent the drain? I...

Kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I need "backflow" protectors ?

View more questions Search