Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Zoolady7's Avatar
    Zoolady7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 28, 2006, 04:48 PM
    Leaky kitchen drain pipe

    My kitchen sink drain pipe leaks where the black U-shaped (p-trap?) screws onto the straight pipe from the sink. I've read that there is supposed to be a plastic ring or fitting that goes between the two pipes inside, and then plumbers tape on the threads where it screws together. Is that correct, and how exactly do I make sure it goes together correctly? There are several projects such as this where I'm getting a house ready for sale, and doing the work myself, so I'll be asking questions often. Thanks in advance for any help and advice :)
    letmetellu's Avatar
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

    Aug 28, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Since you said it was black pipe it must be ABS pipe. You described right the way it is put together with a smaller pipe slipping into a larger pipe with just very little clearance. That is what the plastic ring is for to fill that space and to seal the two together enough that it will not leak. The bottom of the trap or the J-bend is what it is called has the threads on it and the Piece coming down from the sink is called a tail piece. It has no threads and it is the one that slips into the J-bend. You slip the plastic nut up on the tail piece and then you slip the washer onto the tail piece after the plqastic nut. The washer is made in a bevel shape and is flat on one side. The flat part goes onto the tail piece so that it will be up towards the sink. You then slip the J-bend into place and start to plastic nut the nut, it should turn several rounds with no problem. If it turns one or maybe two rounds it is possible you have it cross threaded so unscrew it and start over making sure that the nut goes on straight. Use the little wings or the knobby parts of the nut to tighten it with your hand. Tighten is as tight as you can with you hand and that is all that it need to be tightened. You don't need any plumbers tape (teflon tape) on the threads.
    Zoolady7's Avatar
    Zoolady7 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 28, 2006, 11:07 PM
    Thank you Letmetellu. The black pipe is plastic, is that still called ABS?:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

Leaky drain pipe from shower and sink [ 1 Answers ]

The drain pipe from bathroom sink and shower is leaking through the ceiling into the kitchen below. Can this pipe be replaced without breaking through bathroom floor?

Leaky pipe under kitchen sink [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just moved into my new house and I have a problem with the kitchen sink. When water is just running through the sink and pipes, there is no leaking. However, when I fill up the sink with water (say to soak pots) and then let the water out, the pipes underneath leak terribly as though the...

PVC pipe to kitchen drain/strainer leak [ 3 Answers ]

How do I securely fasten the connection from the pvc pipe to the strainer? I have the plastic stopper inside the strainer nut that screws into the drain tightly but water trickles from the connection. The pvc pipe can slide up and down when the nut to the strainer is securely fastened. What do I...

Kitchen drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

In a sink located in the second floor apt kitchen the drain line under the sink draining away from the sink pitches upward into the soil pipe causing the sink to back up. What should do to remedy this? Should I also remove the old soil stack going up to the roof because of possible blockage in the...

View more questions Search