Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jkarp's Avatar
    jkarp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 11, 2005, 07:59 PM
    Fixing an elbow on a pipe against an outside wall?
    I have a leak on an outside pipe coming from the 90 degree elbow bend (I think). I have wrapped it in that hardening tape, but it still leaks (much less now). I would like to fix the leak completely, but here are my problems.
    The pipe is right up against a wall, so getting around it is pretty hard. Below is a picture of the pipe. What about a 90 degree compression fitting? The problem with that sounds like I would need to cut the pipe with a pipe cutter and I wouldn't be able to do that seeing as the pipe is against a wall, right?
    Does anyone have any other ideas? This is driving me crazy!

    Thanks... josh

    clukkes's Avatar
    clukkes Posts: 43, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member

    Oct 11, 2005, 08:09 PM
    How about chipping the wall around the pipe?
    jkarp's Avatar
    jkarp Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 11, 2005, 08:17 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I chipped away enough to get the tape around there, but that didn't fix it completely. I can chip away more, but I want to know what the best method of fixing this would be before I go chip away the whole thing!

    By the way, I chipped away more wall and wrapped more tape than shown in the picture above.

    ... josh
    clukkes's Avatar
    clukkes Posts: 43, Reputation: 3
    Junior Member

    Oct 11, 2005, 08:26 PM
    To bad you just can't redo the piping... seems like a good time to.
    labman's Avatar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

    Oct 11, 2005, 08:30 PM
    Is it a water line, a drain, or what? How big is it? I don't remember seeing compression elbows meant for iron pipe. They do make straight unions. It wouldn't be elegant, but you could cut both pipes and put nipples in a new elbow, and connect both of them with compression fittings. You could remove the tape wrap and cut the lower pipe. Likely the other one would swing out a little from the wall, enough to cut it with a recip saw or a hacksaw. Compression fittings do not need a straight, smooth cut.

    If it is a drain, I would be very tempted to try to find big enough plastic tubing to slip over it. A couple of hose clamps would complete the job.
    speedball1's Avatar
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

    Oct 12, 2005, 07:52 AM
    This looks like a 3/4" water pipe. If this were my call I'd dig or break out a hole under the pipe on the floor and cut the bad piece out leaving the unthreaded end bare. If the elbo was good I would then remove the bad piece of pipe from the elbo.
    I would then slip a dresser coupling over the bare end of the pipe and a threaded nipple,( after first taping the threads with teflon tape) into the elbo. You may then tighten both compression nuts on the dresser coupling for a solid connection.
    If the elbo's bad I would cut the vertical pipe back to the nearest threaded fitting and convert to PVC using a male PVC adapter. You may then replace the pipe and elbo with PVC if cold and CPVC if hot and connect using the dresser coupling. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip...

Repair leaking PVC elbow in a wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I have discovered a leaking PVC elbow between an upstairs tub and the drain to the downstairs. It is in a very difficult to get to area. Since I can't get to it to cut it out and glue another will a silicone sealant possibly stop the leak? Or is there some other kind of sealant that might work...

Nut on wall pipe is too corroded and won't come off [ 1 Answers ]

The wall pipe under the kitchen sink has a hole. I already disconnected the end that attaches to the trap, but the side that connects to pipe in the wall is badly corroded and the nut won't come loose. I already tried banging the pliers with a hammer and WD40. I can't get it to budge at all. ...

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

Broken pipe in wall [ 1 Answers ]

:'( Trying to fix clogged drains. While unscrewing pipe fitting from wall, pipe cracked. Lots of buildup in the grooves. Trying to replace the fitting and it won't fit due to grooves not being clean. What 's the best way to clean the grooves. Been "chipping" at it for 2 days... we are out both...

View more questions Search