Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    First time... tried to find this topic, but could not... hope it is not a duplicate. :)

    I have a house which is 40-50 years old. The original plumbing fixtures seem to all be Kohler. I have a shower stall (no tub) with a 2-knob system (H&C). I replaced the washers yesterday and it works... sort of. You have to turn the stem real hard to completely shut off the water (esp on the Hot side). I have had this problem before and, over time, things get better. However, I believe it is probably time to replace at least the faucet stem and cartridge.

    How can I find out the maker of this faucet for sure (where would I look)? Also, how can I find out the model number to assist me in ordering parts?

    BTW... I have a compatible system in another bathroom. That bathroom has a tub with a 3-knob system... the third knob being the diverter to the shower. The stems/cartridges are identical to those in the shower stall.

    If this helps, the stem passes through a chrome tube. The end of the chrome tube is threaded and threads into the faucet itself. At the end of the stem is a threaded (really coarse, left-handed threads) end which threads into a metal cartridge (I think that's what it is called). The washer connects to the end of the cartridge with a screw. This cartridge then fits into a larger cartridge with holes to let the water up to the shower. The whole mess goes into the faucet with the second, larger cartridge presumably fitting up against the water inlet.

    See diagram.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    Not an answer... a clarification from me... there is a hole in the end of the outer cartridge that allows water to flow into and through the faucet. The washer in the end of the inner cartridge butts up against this when your turn the faucet off to block this inflow. See updated diagram below:

    Last edited by speedball1; Oct 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    4 Answers
    hkstroud's Avatar
    hkstroud Posts: 11,931, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

    Oct 31, 2008, 04:19 PM

    I believe that's a Kohler faucet. The "outer cartridge with holes" is actually the seat and would be the defective part.
    Take the stem and seat to a plumbing supply house, the place where plumbers go to purchase material, for a replacement seat.

    The stem, with a new washer and lubricated with plumbers grease should function like new.
    Milo Dolezal's Avatar
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,149, Reputation: 518
    Plumbing Expert

    Oct 31, 2008, 06:09 PM

    Yes, it is most likely Kohler unit. Can you post a photo of the trim ?
    letmetellu's Avatar
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

    Oct 31, 2008, 06:21 PM

    It is a Kohler faucet, and the replacement part you need is in the piece marked "Outer cartiridge with holes". In the extreem end of the picture there is a seat that can be pushed out with a dowel or something similar. Insert the dowel and hit the end of the dowel with a hammer, the seat should come right out. Take this seat and the rubber washer in the stem to a plumbing supply houle and they should have what you want. Insert new seat where the old one came out and press or drive it into place.
    Milo Dolezal's Avatar
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,149, Reputation: 518
    Plumbing Expert

    Oct 31, 2008, 06:23 PM

    Also, it is kind of tricky to install. Pay attention how you take it out. You have to install stems in OPEN position - otherwise it will not function properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace 'O' rings and Gaskets in Delta Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta faucet which is probably 30 years old constantly drips. I have replaced the shower head so know it is the faucet. It is a single handle push up for on and twist to the right or left for temperature control. How do I replace the o rings and gaskets? Thank you

Moen Faucet Model 82403 Diverter Problems [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Moen Faucet that was installed 2 months ago. Lately the shower/tub middle knob has started to become hard to turn. I removed the knob, brass nut but am unable to get the diverter out. Is there something special that I have to do to get the diverter out? Thanks for your help.

Need Make - only have Model number! [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace Model: NBH3018SKB1 - Believe it's a 1980-1989 model. Anyone have any idea who makes this furnace? No name on unit. Thank you. Email:

Water suppressor needed on lavatory faucet and shower faucet? [ 1 Answers ]

Are water suppressors needed in the bathroom sink faucet and the shower stub out also? And can you just use a length of pipe on a T, or must you use those copper chambers? (cpvc system) thanks

View more questions Search