Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zzotto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 07:00 PM
    Well Water at 20 psi - then drops!
    Do I need a new well? I have had low water pressure for about a week. I checked the pressure tank and pumped it up to 60 psi. Is that too high - too low? Did not fix the problem.

We have a well. Water table is fine - east coast. I checked the pressure gauge of the pump and it is 20 - then I turn on the water somewhere and poof - the pressure drops to nothing! We only have one shower and it is upstairs and the water is barely getting there! The upstairs toilet won't work because of no pressure.

I need help!

Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2005, 07:38 PM
    Look around near the pressure gage. There should be a box about 3'' on a side with a small pipe going in and 2 wires. It is the pressure switch that turns the pump on and off. If the pump pumps up to 20 psi. and shuts off, likely the pressure switch isn't working right. You may be able to take the cover off and work it manually. You will see 4 screws holding wires. Don't touch them, but maybe push down on something with a spring. If the pump kicks on and runs the pressure on up, the switch isn't working right. You might be able to repair it, or adjust it, but the switches are cheap and easy to replace. Even if you can't get the pump to come on that way, likely the switch isn't working.

Shut the power off to the pump, disconnect the wires, and unscrew the box from the pipe. Buy a new one and put it back together just like it was.
    zzotto Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2005, 08:04 PM
    Ok
    Ok, I took the cover off, saw the four wires and tapped the bolt with the spring on it with a nut on the top - nothing. Do I push down? Hard?

About the wires: If I shut the pump off at the panel, are the wires cold- i.e. - NOT HOT? Is that a 220? Wow! I do not want to get zapped with 220!

Can I get a pressure switch at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or is it at a specialty plumbing store?

How do I know if it is the switch for sure? Any tests I can perform?

Thanks for the help - I really appreciate it.

ZZotto
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2005, 09:03 AM
    [QUOTE=zzotto]Do I need a new well? I have had low water pressure for about a week. I checked the pressure tank and pumped it up to 60 psi. Is that too high - too low? Did not fix the problem.

We have a well. Water table is fine - east coast. I checked the pressure gauge of the pump and it is 20 - then I turn on the water somewhere and poof - the pressure drops to nothing! We only have one shower and it is upstairs and the water is barely getting there! The upstairs toilet won't work because of no pressure.

Ok, I took the cover off, saw the four wires and tapped the bolt with the spring on it with a nut on the top - nothing. Do I push down? Hard?

About the wires: If I shut the pump off atl, are the wires cold- i.e. - NOT HOT? Is that a 220? Wow! I do not want to get zapped with 220! The pane

Can I get a pressure switch at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or is it at a specialty plumbing store?

How do I know if it is the switch for sure? Any tests I can perform?[QUOTE]

(1) I took the cover off, saw the four wires and tapped the bolt with the spring on it with a nut on the top - nothing. Do I push down? Hard?
    Push the bar with the contacts so it makes contact with the stationary contacts. The pump should run.
    (2) About the wires: If I shut the pump off atl, are the wires cold- i.e. - NOT HOT? Is that a 220?
    It's indeed 220 volts, and shuttig the pump off at the breaker box will disconnect the power.
    (3) Can I get a pressure switch at Lowe's or Home Depot? Or is it at a specialty plumbing store?
    Lowe's or Home Depot should handle them. You have the option of a 20PSI cut in and 40 PSI cut out or a 30/50. Your choice.
    I'm going to assume that you have a "square D pumptrol Presure Switch and that it has a 20 PSI cut in and a 40 PSI cut off setting ,(see the top of the cover for limits). First turnoff the power at the breaker box, then pull the cover off the pressure switch and you will see two spring loaded bolts secured with nylon nuts. One tall, one short. To increase the cut in pressure, turn the nut on the tall bolt down. To increase the cut out pressure,(that's the one that will give you more pressure) turn the nut on the short bolt down. If you can't adjust the control then replace it.
    Now Let me explain the function of a bladder tank. Pressure and bladder tanks provide a air cushion that produces water pressure in your system so your pump doesn't kick on every time you draw a glass of water. a bladder tank has a neoprene membrane in the center. As the pump puts water into the bottom half of the bladder tank the membrane compresses the air in the top half. When the pressure reaches the cut off point in the control box the pump shuts down. However you still have between 40 to 50 pounds of pressure pushing the water out to your system. As the pressure drops in the tank when you make a draw the pump kicks on and everything starts over again.
    To check the bladder, take something metal and start rapping at the bottom of the tank and work upwards. You will hear a "clunk" in the bottom half full of water. On the upper half you should hear a "clink" because the upper half should have nothing but air in it. IF the sound doesn't change or changes close to to tank top then the bladder tank must be replaced. Your air setting on the tank should be 2 pounds UNDER the cut in point in the pressure control box. If your pressure control has a 20 PSI cut in and 40 PSI cut out the tank pressure should read 18 PSI. More questions? We're as close as a click.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Voltage drops [ 10 Answers ]

We have an ongoing problems with our house lights experiencing "drops" or "dimming". Our electricity provider has tested all external connections and installed a monitor, with no problems found. We had multiple electricians inspect the circuit box and all connections, with no problems found. ...

Leaking drops [ 4 Answers ]

I have a bathroom on the second floor. Every time I flush the toilet, the ceiling below is stained by water. The flow is only drops at a time. Can anyone help with what it might be? There is no water around the toilet at all. Can it be the wax ring? I'm not sure, I thought if that were the...

View more questions Search