Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    veryconfused2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2006, 10:42 PM
    What can you be charged
    I need help, I received a letter today from a collection agency stating that I owe $1800.00 and they are willing to settle for $1100. Here are my problems first of all I am unsure who the money is going to, and secondly if it is to the place I am thinking of which is Capital One. I had received a maximum limit from them of $300 which of course I fell behind on my payments and now they say I owe $1800 can they really charge that much extra in fees?

Veryconfused
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 06:28 AM
    Yes interst fees go up to a ungodly amount and they add a late fee of 30 to 50 dollars a month plus a over the limit fee of 30 to 50, so they can add up fees of 100 a month on top of the interest

But if you don't even know what the debt is, you merely write them and tell them they have to show proof of the debt.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 06:33 AM
    FR Church is correct, if you are not sure about the debt, request verification of the debt in writing within 30 days of their notice.
    posheak Posts: 51, Reputation: -1

Nov 11, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by veryconfused2003
    I need help, I received a letter today from a collection agency stating that I owe $1800.00 and they are willing to settle for $1100. Here are my problems first of all I am unsure who the money is going to, and secondly if it is to the place I am thinking of which is Capital One. I had received a maximum limit from them of $300 which of course I fell behind on my payments and now they say I owe $1800 can they really charge that much extra in fees?

Veryconfused
    Contact the Better Business Bureau or, better yet, your state's Commerce Dept. Of course, one big factor is just how long you've owed this money - interest rates are charged every month so if your rates are 19% or more a month, it wouldn't take long to build up to $1800 because each month the interest rates are added to what you owe so each month the amount of interest goes up too. Hope this helps Godbless
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 11, 2006, 04:06 PM
    The BBB will do NOTHING in this instance. Contacting them is a waste of time.
    The state Commerce or consumer affairs agencies will also do nothing at this point.

The simple matter is this agency was either hired by the creditor or purchased the debt from them. So you have a right to get the exact details of the debt before you decide what to do. So what Chuck and Yet told you is the correct thing to do. Once you get an accounting of what the debt is, you can then decide how to deal with it.

If they won't provide you with that info, then call their bluff and tell them to sue you.
    veryconfused2003 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Thank you everone who has answered it answered my question and I am disappointed for myself it does not look good but I am going to right the company and get a copy.

Thank you,
    VeryConfused

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Charged with both theft& deception [ 4 Answers ]

I worked in a bank and I made fake transactions and stole $3670. I have been charged with 6 counts of both theft& deception and receiving stolen property. I don't have a criminal record and never been convicted of a crime before. I'm very afraid. If there's someone out there who knows something or...

Can I be charged again in court for witholding parts of the truth? [ 4 Answers ]

I apologize if this bulletin seems redundant, for I have seen some earlier posts about theft under $5000. I do not posses much knowledge about criminal law, so I am asking for your help on my specific situation. I am an 18 year old female living in canada attending my second year of...

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

Help please -I was CHARGED as a Criminal.. 'd/c &b [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to answer your post earlier but was unable to do so do so due to password problems. The local chapter of the Bar Association for your area should be able to tell you something about the attorney you have, at a minimun, whether that person is in good standing in the legal community. ...

Charged w/ a crime [ 1 Answers ]

In order for these charges to "stick" the "victim" must enter a formal complaint and in some cases must be present in any and/or all hearings. You also have a legal right to know your accuser, it is part of due process... somewhere among this you must have an idea why and how this has happened. I...

View more questions Search