Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigDMcG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2009, 07:35 AM
    What is the Force required to get a stationary object moving?
    I have a circular roll of paper that is 53" in diameter and weighs 2300 lbs. I am trying to determine the force required to start the roll of paper moving on a dry concrete floor.

Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 30, 2009, 08:38 AM

You need to define what you mean by "start the roll of paper moving" - is there a particular speed you want it to roll along at, and how quickly do you want it to get up to speed? That will determine the force and ultimately the HP required. Also, keep in mind that any calculation we do here will have to assume that the roll of paper is perfectly smooth and incompressible, whereas in reality I suspect that the roll is slightly compressed under its own weight. So a moe refined calculation would require you to tell us what force is required to just get it moving (i.e. to overcome the "flat spot" where the roll rests on the floor).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Force applied to an object [ 3 Answers ]

The more direct a force is to an object will the object move farther

Force required to move on ice [ 2 Answers ]

How can a person stranded on a perfectly smooth block of ice get to the corner?

What Happens to an object in motion whne it expenrienes a nonzero net external force [ 1 Answers ]

What happens to an object in motion when it experiences a nonzero net external force?

Torque and force on an object [ 4 Answers ]

A 5ft by 5ft square is nailed in the bottom left corner. 3 100 pound forces are applied to the other 3 corners the force applied to the upper right corner is at a 40 degree angle What equations would be used to answer the questions below? I keep finding equations but Im not sure what all the...

View more questions Search