Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjssg1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Charged Particles
    Operation of Inkjet Printer. In an inkjet printer, letters are built up by squirting drops of ink at the paper rapidly moving nozzle. The pattern on the paper is controlled by an electrostatic valve that determines at each nozzle position whether ink is squirted onto the paper or not. The ink drops have a radius of 15.0 nano meters and leave the nozzle and travel toward the paper at a velocity of 25.0 meter/sec. The drops pass through from a a charging unit that gives each drop a positive charge q by causing it to lose some electrons. The drops hen pass between parallel deflecting plates of length 1.60 centimeters where there is a uniform vertical electric field with a magnitude of 8.10x10 4th neuton/coulumbs. If a drop is to be deflected a distance of 0.290 milimeters by the time it reaches the end of the deflection plate, what magnitude of charge must be given to the drop? (Assume that the density of the ink drop is 1000 kilo grams/meter cubed)
    cassidylboyd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 11:54 AM
    :confused::(
    Quote Originally Posted by cjssg1 View Post
    Operation of Inkjet Printer. In an inkjet printer, letters are built up by squirting drops of ink at the paper rapidly moving nozzle. The pattern on the paper is controlled by an electrostatic valve that determines at each nozzle position whether ink is squirted onto the paper or not. The ink drops have a radius of 15.0 nano meters and leave the nozzle and travel toward the paper at a velocity of 25.0 meter/sec. The drops pass through from a a charging unit that gives each drop a positive charge q by causing it to lose some electrons. The drops hen pass between parallel deflecting plates of length 1.60 centimeters where there is a uniform vertical electric field with a magnitude of 8.10x10 4th neuton/coulumbs. If a drop is to be deflected a distance of 0.290 milimeters by the time it reaches the end of the deflection plate, what magnitude of charge must be given to the drop? (Assume that the density of the ink drop is 1000 kilo grams/meter cubed)
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 20, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Time spent by the droplet inside the plates is t=L/V, where L is the length of the plates, and V - droplet's speed parallel to the plates. Let's call the axis parallel to the plates X, and the axis parallel to the electric field - Y. Obviously, the speed of the droplet along the axis X does not change, as there is no force in this direction. The speed along Y changes due to the force q*E, which is constant and acts on the droplet while it is inside the plates. This force adds an extra component to the droplets speed through constant acceleration ( a=(q*E)/m, here a is acceleration, m - mass of the droplet (mass=density*volume) ), which leads to the displacement. This displacement is due to accelerated motion, therefore total displacment D=(1/2)*a*(t^2). Combination all three equation gives the fourth one, which can be solved for q. The only question here is whether to take the gravitational force into account. The answer is no due to two reasons. The first is that we do not know relative orientation of the electric field and gravitation (they either coinside or opposite to each other). The second is that probably the electric field is so much stronger than the gravity, that we can omit the gravity and its effect on the droplet's speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Black Particles in water [ 12 Answers ]

Help! I've discovered black particles in my water when I fill up a sink or bathtub. I contacted the water company and they believe the stuff is coming from within my house plumbing or water heater. The particles smear in the bottom of a tub or sink when touched. When they come out of the faucet...

How to remove particles from the alveioli? [ 3 Answers ]

Which of the following is not a means of removing particles from the alveoli? A) Phygocytosis B) Lymphatics C) Physical removal upward by thin fluid layer D) Cilia What is the answer

Plumbing, particles in hot water [ 2 Answers ]

For several months at least, I have been cleaning the aerators on my faucets and finding much white particles, very white. They are small but they obstruct the flow. I have determined that they are only in the hot water by running the hot water through a strainer at a sink without an aerator. They...

White particles clogging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

Need help... I noticed white particles in our water and our water pressure began getting weak. A plummer advised me to drain and flush my water heater. I did that until the water ran clear. All faucets work except for the one closest to the hot water heater, well actually I had to take off a...

Radiation, range of alpha particles [ 5 Answers ]

Alpha particles lose 5 x 10(-18) J of kinetic energy in each collision they make with an air molecule. An alpha particle traveling through air at STP undergoes around 5(5) ionising collisions with the air molecules for each centimeter of air they travel through. Calculate the range of the alpha...

View more questions Search