Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Whuffle's Avatar
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 21, 2005, 01:53 PM
    increase the range of a variable resistor?
    Hi people!

    I need to replace a 200k potentiometer with a touch-sensitive strip, itself being a type of variable resistor.

    Unfortunately I have no choice in the matter: the strip has a resistance between 3k and 20k. Is there some way I can ensure that 200k is the highest resistance available, while leaving 3k as the lowest?

    I had wondered if there is such a thing as a voltage-controlled resistor, a sort of inverse-transistor? That way, I could use the touch-strip to control a stronger resistor, perhaps.

    Any thoughts?
    labman's Avatar
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

    Jul 22, 2005, 08:55 AM
    This question goes beyond my limited knowledge. I may have helped on the last one, but not this one. Sorry.
    Whuffle's Avatar
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 22, 2005, 10:56 AM
    Lol, my neighbours hate you enough already, labman!

    Ok, I think I have cracked it anyway.. I can use my touch-strip resistor to control an LED, which in turn will affect a Light Dependent Resistor of much greater ohmage.
    fizixx's Avatar
    fizixx Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Jul 29, 2005, 05:30 PM
    Ok... what do you mean by a touch-sensative strip? Go into a little detail so folks here know what you're asking.
    Whuffle's Avatar
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 5, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Touch sensitive strip:

    available from, or can be made yourself

    It is basically a conductive wire over which is placed (but not quite touching) a stip of resistant material: a semiconductor. The wire constitutes one polarity in the circuit, and the strip is the other.

    Hence, when touched together, electricity is caused to flow. The device will have a resistance that varies dependent upon WHERE the strip is touched.

    I am purchasing one rather than making it, since they are more durable, less than 3 mm thick, etc etc..

    I intend to use this form of variable resistor, rather than the "pot" form of variable resistor that is in my Wah-wah pedal (guitarist's effects pedal for those that don't know)

    However, the resistance of the strip is between 3k and 20k, depending where it is touched, whereas the Pot it will be replacing is 100k (I have acquired a different circuit, so it isn't 200k as I originally stated) and I need to ensure that everything matches-up.
    fizixx's Avatar
    fizixx Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Aug 5, 2005, 11:15 AM
    Ok, now it makes a little more sense. Thank you.

    fizixx's Avatar
    fizixx Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Aug 5, 2005, 11:43 AM
    How about you try using op-amps? Like a comparator; one for the low end and one for the high end.


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

G.E. Gas range [ 1 Answers ]

I need help, from a gas range repair tech. I need to replace the insulation that goes around the oven,top, sides, and back. A critter got in it and it now stinks bad! My question, can I use regular fibreglass insulation, the kind used in home's? If I remove the paper, or do I need to use the...

Coil resistor wire [ 1 Answers ]

Have problem with risistos wire on 1964 ford ware do you replace it from ?

Gap between cabinets and gas range [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about filling in a gap between my gas range and a cabinet. The gap is 25 inches length but the space near the front of the gas range is 1/2 inch and it gets narrower as the gap approaches the wall (1/8 inch). I am afraid food would drop in there and there would be no way to clean it...

View more questions Search