Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #1

    Jul 20, 2015, 01:15 PM
    Fujifilm Finepix S4200 quit; batteries new, right direction, camera dead.
    Bought this camera used from a neighbor as-is for $90. Got several great trips' worth of pictures out of it - my money's worth. On the last trip, I was shooting while a passenger in a car (closed windows, no dust) and in between shots it just died. I immediately changed to a new set of batteries and yet another set, so I know it's not them as they all test as new. I cleaned the upper contacts and the battery cover closes properly, I think. No visible gaps there. Lower battery contacts tough to reach, but I blew it out and they look OK.

    Suspect some wire came loose, as the lens did not retract, like it would if batteries were low. Owner's manual doesn't offer me much help.

    Any suggestions? I do have small screwdrivers and used to take mechanical watches apart, but this is no watch.
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Jul 20, 2015, 05:14 PM
    Sometimes they just "die". My Canon just developed a purple blotch on the screen and in the picture. You can just buy a same or similar body on EBay and transfer the card, case and charger.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #3

    Jul 20, 2015, 05:40 PM
    ma0641, I guess that makes more economic sense than going to a repair place. It's just that, being an avid freecycler and trying to keep whatever I can out of the waste stream, I'd like to think it might be easily fixed. Most of the inexpensive bridge cameras we see on Ebay or on cheap sites are refurbs anyway. But thank you for the suggestion.
    hauntinghelper's Avatar
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests
     
    #4

    Jul 23, 2015, 04:20 AM
    I've been there... sometimes they just die. For a used camera, you have to ask yourself how far are you willing to go to fix this thing? Sounds internal to me.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #5

    Jul 23, 2015, 05:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I've been there... sometimes they just die. For a used camera, you have to ask yourself how far are you willing to go to fix this thing? Sounds internal to me.
    Thank you for responding and yes, it does sound like it's internal. I'm still hoping for some brilliant MacGiver-like hack for what to look at. A small wire to solder. Unrealistic perhaps. Just relying on my older Fujifilm bridge camera where I have to hold the flash arm up, if I want flash. Oh well.

    Just not willing to move into a serious camera, as I remember my issues when I had film equipment.
    hauntinghelper's Avatar
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests
     
    #6

    Jul 23, 2015, 09:01 AM
    The DSLR and mirroless market has AMAZING choices at this point in time... and have come a long way from the film days. Even the lower end DSLRs give amazing images. If you paid $90 for this thing, I'd say you got your money's worth. There's a great market out there right now.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #7

    Jul 23, 2015, 10:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    The DSLR and mirroless market has AMAZING choices at this point in time... and have come a long way from the film days. Even the lower end DSLRs give amazing images. If you paid $90 for this thing, I'd say you got your money's worth. There's a great market out there right now.
    HH, Yes, I totally agree I got way more than my moneys worth from this camera, 10,000 shots alone on the last international trip. The reason I'm reluctant to go beyond a bridge camera, other than issues I had with my mechanical OM-10 years ago, is that the wife or kids will take my cameras and not handle them with respect. Knowing how the wife just tosses my laptop bag into a corner with laptop inside and drops her iPhone, including into toilets, I would have screamed at her for breaking my camera, EXCEPT, I was using it, so it was not possible to vent that way.

    I like the Fujifilm cameras partly because of the low cost, but also because they use standard AA batteries, which I don't need to charge (yes sometimes I use NIMH) and can buy anywhere. The S series cameras give me great pictures.

    Any suggestions among the bridge cameras?
    hauntinghelper's Avatar
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests
     
    #8

    Jul 23, 2015, 01:34 PM
    That all depends on your photography needs and most importantly... your budget. There are great bridge cameras... that cost MORE than some entry level DSLRs. If this is simply street and travel photography you are looking for, a bridge camera is a good option. But so is a mirrorless camera. If you don't ever want to worry about switching lenses go for the bridge. The zoom range is incredible... but something like that comes at a cost. You're going to sacrifice quality and control options for convenience. Mirrorless, bridge, DSLR... these all range is price from$350-$800.

    If your biggest concern is something that doesn't cost much because it may get damaged or lost, look and compacts.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #9

    Jul 23, 2015, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    That all depends on your photography needs and most importantly... your budget. There are great bridge cameras... that cost MORE than some entry level DSLRs. If this is simply street and travel photography you are looking for, a bridge camera is a good option. But so is a mirrorless camera. If you don't ever want to worry about switching lenses go for the bridge. The zoom range is incredible... but something like that comes at a cost. You're going to sacrifice quality and control options for convenience. Mirrorless, bridge, DSLR... these all range is price from$350-$800.
    Life comes with so many tradeoffs. It used to be so easy buying milk, as we had only whole and 2 percent milk when I was a kid. Too complicated nowadays; four brands of just skim milk now per store.

    As I just do the travel/family gathering/street scene stuff, I may just go for another inexpensive (read cheap) refurb Fujifilm. I love the range of the built-in lens which compensates somewhat for old eyes. I remember all the lenses, adaptors and filters I used to drag around and all the controls the airlines and TSA have on what I can carry aboard now.

    All the ones I've bought at least have a viewfinder, since I can't stand using the large LCD screen. BTW, thanks for listening to my successive rants. Hope I only come across as a bit of a curmudgeon.
    hauntinghelper's Avatar
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests
     
    #10

    Jul 23, 2015, 01:51 PM
    As long as you enjoy shooting. Use what you're happy with.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #11

    Jul 23, 2015, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    As long as you enjoy shooting. Use what you're happy with.
    Thanks. Enjoy your photography!
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert
     
    #12

    Jul 23, 2015, 04:52 PM
    Another source for a camera if you want it for a low price can be a pawn shop. I just bought a very nice Nikon that is 20 mp for under $100.

    For a grab and go camera it works fine.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #13

    Jul 23, 2015, 04:56 PM
    It could have been a "grab and go" camera before being pawned. <grin>

    Sorry cdad, I just couldn't resist the straight line you fed me. It is a good idea.
    hauntinghelper's Avatar
    hauntinghelper Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 290
    Paranormal and Spiritual Interests
     
    #14

    Jul 23, 2015, 05:32 PM
    I never find anything good in pawn shops. Very frustrating.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #15

    Jul 23, 2015, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hauntinghelper View Post
    I never find anything good in pawn shops. Very frustrating.
    Well, most refurb sites at least give a 30-day warranty. Fwiw. If it works when I get it, odds are it'll work a while longer.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert
     
    #16

    Jul 24, 2015, 02:23 PM
    This is the camera. In looking around it looks like you can get refurb for about $120 plus shipping.

    Nikon COOLPIX L330 digital camera | Compact digital camera from Nikon

    Nikon Coolpix L330 20.2MP Digital Camera on sale for $119.95
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #17

    Jul 24, 2015, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    This is the camera. In looking around it looks like you can get refurb for about $120 plus shipping.

    Nikon COOLPIX L330 digital camera | Compact digital camera from Nikon

    Nikon Coolpix L330 20.2MP Digital Camera on sale for $119.95
    Hmmm. Looks like it meets my needs. Got to talk to the boss. Thanks for doing the search!

    Might opt for the new one for $20 more.
    cdad's Avatar
    cdad Posts: 12,687, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert
     
    #18

    Jul 24, 2015, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by someconcerns View Post
    Hmmm. Looks like it meets my needs. Got to talk to the boss. Thanks for doing the search!

    Might opt for the new one for $20 more.


    It takes good pictures but for you it may not be to your liking as it only has a large lcd screen and not a veiwfinder. You mentioned earlier that you werent fond of that style.

    I just was trying to give you an example of how you can get a decent camera for a decent price that doesnt break the bank.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #19

    Jul 25, 2015, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    It takes good pictures but for you it may not be to your liking as it only has a large lcd screen and not a veiwfinder. You mentioned earlier that you werent fond of that style.

    I just was trying to give you an example of how you can get a decent camera for a decent price that doesnt break the bank.
    Very good point. I need to look further.
    someconcerns's Avatar
    someconcerns Posts: 42, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #20

    Sep 21, 2015, 10:46 AM
    Just to close the loop a bit, for all of you who tried to help me, here's what happened:

    So, after looking and looking, I found one of the online vendors I use selling the same camera - refurbished of course - for $70. Just a short warranty, but I've tested it out and it seems OK. No lens cap, but hey, I've got the old one.

    The camera is an S-4250 instead of an S-4200. The difference is simply that Fujifilm ran off a bunch of the same camera for sale through Walmart and put a different model designation on them, so Walmart wouldn't have to match someone else's price (or vice versa).

    Thank you again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Digital Camera Batteries [ 2 Answers ]

Double AA batteries will not work in my digital camera . On the battery tester they show weak. But have power to light a flashlight And run a small radio. Does a digital camera demand so much energy?

Fujifilm finefix A310 digital camera [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, Is there anybody there who could help me to suggest to increase the memory of ny digital camera. It has a 16 MB "xd picture card" when I bought it but taking pictures is not enougth. Is there any other brand that would fit into my digital camera or any suggestions? Thanks.

Remote control for fujifilm finepix s5800? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a remote control for the fujifilm finepix s5800? I haven't been able to find one for it, I'm not sure if there is one, can anybody let me know if one exists and if so where I could get one? Thanks


View more questions Search