Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bett1933 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2009, 11:19 AM
    Rat Infested Rental Home
    My son rented a home with a 6 month lease in April 2009. They were in the house all
    Of 5 days and went to put some boxes in the cellar and saw rats running around. He has
    4 children and was upset at what he found. He called the landlord and asked that he
    Call an exterminator to handle the problem, which he never addressed.

A few nites later, while laying on the living room floor watching t.v. a rat ran across his
    Chest! He immediately got the kids and wife up and out of the property and went to a
    Hotel. That's where he's been since April of this year. My question is this, is the landlord
    Responsible for the rent at the hotel, and he's holding his 1800.00 and they have no
    Money to get another place. The Board of Health went there to inspect the house and
    Gave him 5 days to clean the place up, but we haven't heard a word from the owner of
    The house.

Do we need to take him to court for the hotel and our money back?

Betty
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 01:43 PM

I think you need to get some legal advice.

Considering you had only been in the property 5 days,I think your deposit should be returned in full, however it will not be as simple as that.

There are so many clauses within the law that I'm sure the landlord will pull one out ,that states that you had not given any notice to quit... but of coarse the property was un-inhabitable.

I can't imagine that the landlord will repay your hotel costs, but you could if it goes that far claim through the small claims court.

The best thing that you can do is as I've said,contact a solicitor or if you have an advice bureau in your area, go along and put the case to them.
    They are very knowledgeable and I'm sure will be able to set you straight.

I am not a solicitor,but hopefully one of our legal experts will come on with all the correct info on this matter.

Goodluck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos in a rental home [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved to a 60 year old rental home. It is in good condition since it has been renovated so many times. It is also on an air force base. I'm pretty sure it has asbestos in it, most likely the insulation. When we moved in we were told about the places that contained lead paint like the outside...

Lien on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

If a county, tax collector's office, puts a lien on a rental home for failure to pay property taxes and sewer bill. What can happen to me, the tenant? Should I start looking for a new place to live?

Rental home is in foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

We have been renting a house for a year and found out, not through the homeowner, that the property is in foreclosure. The NOD has been filed was filed 02/01/08. We have been paying the rent every month. Since the house is in foreclosure, do I still have to pay the rent? I need money to move. ...

Rental home going into foreclosure [ 2 Answers ]

I have been renting my house since July of this year. I just found out that my landlord has not been making the payments on the house and it is going into foreclosure, she just told me about it and thinks that I should be out of the house by the end of this month! What are my rights? How long do...

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

View more questions Search