Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shawna915 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2006, 07:59 PM
    New kitchen sink too small for old p-trap
    Hi! You all had such good advice last winter when I was having drain problems that I thought of you all first about this. I am remodeling my small galley kitchen and trying to maximize space. Since my sink drain goes into the wall, I decided to try to get a drawer under the sink base. I checked with the manufacturer to make sure it would fit, but his info was a bit off. So now I have a pipe into the wall about 2 1/2 inches above the floor of the new sink cabinet. What can I do about a p-trap? Are there other configurations? Do I have to cut a hole in the floor of that new cabinet? Again, any ideas gratefully appreciated!

~Shawna
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2006, 08:43 PM
    What would keep you from going into the wall and raising the pipe that is now coming out of the wall?
    A solution that might work is to put an ell on the pipe coming out of the wall and then put a nipple into the ell to make it the height that it needs to be, then add another ell to make it point toward the center of the lavatory.This is not the best way to do it but it would work if no other solution was available.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2006, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shawna915
    Hi! You all had such good advice last winter when I was having drain problems that I thought of you all first about this. I am remodeling my small galley kitchen and trying to maximize space. Since my sink drain goes into the wall, I decided to try to get a drawer under the sink base. I checked with the manufacturer to make sure it would fit, but his info was a bit off. So now I have a pipe into the wall about 2 1/2 inches above the floor of the new sink cabinet. What can I do about a p-trap? Are there other configurations? Do I have to cut a hole in the floor of that new cabinet? Again, any ideas gratefully appreciated!

~Shawna
    You have three options here. (1) Cut the cabinet floor to accommodate the bend of the trap or (2) open up the wall and raise the stubout as letmetellu suggests. Or (3) While I don't recommend it and I'm sure you'll have drainage problems on down the line you could build and install a "S" trap as letmetellu
    Has laid out in his post. It wouldn't be fair not to give you ALL the options. Even the bad ones. Good luck, Tom
    shawna915 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Thanks, guys! I had thought that maybe going into the wall might work, but wasn't sure. As this is over my level of confidence, I called a plumber and hope he agrees. I really don't want to cut into that cabinet's floor if there is another solution. And, while I'm glad to have all the options, I would never have gone along with an 'S' trap as a solution.

Now, about the drain in the wall. My condo is one floor on a slab, and the main drain is in the utility room and is about six feet away in a line along the wall. Is the pipe going to be going up or down in the wall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

Kitchen Sink/Laundry Sink Drain Vent Non-exist [ 3 Answers ]

The set-up from kitchen sink leading down to drain to basement: 1. Kitchen sink - (R side) - connected to a P drain I think you call it -PVC-, connected to a "metal" T, which has a Studer vent gizmo attached to the top of it, then draining into a metal pipe straight down to the drain in the...

Kitchen sink vent [ 4 Answers ]

I have an older house with a kitchen sink and wash machine that use the same drain. After washing clothes or dishes there is a nasty odor that comes from the basement. (I assume where the drain is) There seems to be no vent to the outside ? Does it need one? Does it have to go through the roof or...

Kitchen Sink faucet - odd nut [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new at this so figure I'll just jump right in and be ignorant... We have a kitchen sink faucet (American Standard I think) that seems to have a retaining nut under it that defies logic. I've replaced the faucet, drain, etc in the bathrooms and it was nothing like this. This kitchen...

Kitchen sink [ 1 Answers ]

Why do I need "backflow" protectors ?

View more questions Search