Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth911 Posts: 499, Reputation: 6

Jan 30, 2008, 08:31 PM
    Pet rats
    I have a few questions.
    I have 2 female rats. I keep them in separate cages. The oldest one is about 10 - 11 months and the other one is maybe 4 months. I would like to be able to have them around each other if that can be possible. But I'm afraid of them fighting. Ive had them by each other a time or two but the big one almost tried to go at the little one. Or at least it looked that way. Any suggestions?

Also, My oldest rat always tries to bite off my nails? And sometimes won't let go. Is their away to prevdent that? I'm afraid of her eating them and getting sick.

Jan 30, 2008, 08:35 PM
    I forgot to mention that she always crawls up to my shoulder and bites my ears.
    Other than that they are both really sweet rats.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 08:39 PM
    OK, we are talking mice, not "rats" and sorry the term nice, pet and rat just go tother.

But have you tried putting them iin a cage with a glass divider to see if they try to interact? But in general normally if they are mice, they should be social animals. ** my kids had some when they were young

Jan 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
    I don't quite undertsand what that first sentence says.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 08:59 PM
    He thinks you have mice.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 09:03 PM
    Call the pet store they should be able to tell you.
    If you are worried get a screen or a plastic mesh maybe the petstore has one and let them observe each other through it. Of course you will need to be in the room I am quite sure they could chew through it. I have seen rats in stores all in 1 cage... but that could have been for mating purposes.
    IMavis10 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 03:44 AM
    Rats are very social animals and unless you are able to take them out and play with them every day they need a playmate. Put them together and observe them for a while. Rats have a hierchy like dogs, they have an alpha and beta. The bigger rat might be trying to show the little one that she's the boss. When she tries to chew on your fingernails give her something else to chew on. Good luck.

Feb 3, 2008, 10:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Call the pet store they should be able to tell you.
    If you are worried get a screen or a plastic mesh maybe the petstore has one and let them observe each other thru it. Ofcourse you will need to be in the room I am quite sure they could chew thru it. I have seen rats in stores all in 1 cage...but that could have been for mating purposes.
    Yeah I know what you mean. But they also may have been together when they were really young. And one of mine hasn't been around any other rats since she was really litte. And the little one hasn't been around any bigger rats
    abbisnews Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2010, 01:24 PM
    Ha ha ha that's so funny! Sorry. Ok, I have two rats, too! And they are a good 3 or 4 weeks apart by age. They do fight and bite each other! That's how they play! That usually means that they're bored. My rats bite my mom's nails, too. They won't eat them. If they do, then take it away from them, or wear gloves or mittens or something when you play with them! Good luck! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Loss of a Pet causing distress on another pet [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 year old cocker spaniel has experienced the loss of her best friend, our 14 year old Dalmatian. She is exhibiting behaviors that we are not sure how to deal with. She refuses to go onto a tile floor such as the ones in the bathroom or kitchens, and is peeing and pooping in the house quite...

Rats in vent in slab [ 4 Answers ]

My supply vents are in the slab. Rats have gotten in somehow and we made the mistake of putting out poison. We now have stinking dead rats in the vents. Is there some way to find the dead rats and where they got in? If not, it appears that I will have to abandon those vents, go to an upflow...

Rats under home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all and hopefully someone will be able to help me out here. A little while ago I came to the conclusion that there was something living under my mini home (above the insulation). I replaced a lot of insulation and thought that whatever it was was gone and maybe had been for awhile due to...

Chinchilla Rats [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know more about chinchilla rats. Where can you find them? I think I may have seen one in Omak Washington. Please get back to me, Thanks.

Mall Rats Actors [ 1 Answers ]

What is the name of the bald actor that plays the dad who runs the Game Show? The one that gets "stink palmed" and then gets sick? Again sorry so vague. Just have a bet that this actor is not the same actor as the guy from Top Gun. I think they are different, can someone please confirm?

View more questions Search