Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squeeky222 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Insulated sheathing boards
    Has anyone had any experience with the polyisocyanurate foam sheathing boards ? I'm considering using one of the R4 rated .6" boards over a standard rigid wafer type sheathing before attach the fiber cement planked siding. Would a exterior wrap such as Permawrap also be helpful ? Can a wavy effect in the siding occur when applied to a foam based board ?
    jamlove Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Sep 1, 2006, 12:09 PM
    Hi...
    The pink rigid foam boards won't compress enough to cause that "wavy" effect, but the white styrofoam ones will. So you should be OK there.

My only comment on your permawrap question is, every little bit helps, no? If I can save up the money, I think I'll use house wrap and foam when I do my big siding project. Ahhh, some day!

:)
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2006, 12:23 PM
    I just replaced wooden siding with vinyl this summer. I did not go through the trouble of attaching "R4 rated .6" boards over a standard rigid wafer type sheathing". Not even sure what a 'standard rigid wafer type sheathing' is.

However, three of use replace old siding, soffets and fascia in three days. This included removal to the dump all the old wooden siding. We just popped the old stuff off, tar papered the bare plywood walls, put on the trim and on the siding went. Why spend so much extra time for so little gain (R4). Are your heating bills that bad?

Also, if its on a southern wall you may get expansion buckling that you're concerned about (because the siding may be attached too tight and stick to the insulation boards)!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Message boards [ 3 Answers ]

On top of doing photography I would also like to start a message board. I already have one planned in my head. I would like to have some tips on getting started and what do I have to look out for.

Sheathing preferences [ 5 Answers ]

We are putting a 2 story addition on that will include a garage on the first floor and a walking closet/master bath expansion on the second. The bid referenced OSB sheathing on the exterior walls/roof and floor deck. The contractor decided to install Bild-Rite sheathing on the exterior walls...

Replace sheathing on garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage roof that has completely rotted. Pulling off the plywood sheathing, I see that the surface of the 2x6 rafters is rotted. This is a stupid question, but I can't figure out is how the rafters are attached to the center beam. I can't see any nail holes. Have I not looked hard enough?...

View more questions Search