Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Drew1973's Avatar
    Drew1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 5, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Payroll taxes
    Hi... Ive started a small business.. I was under the WRONG impression I could 1099 my 2 guys as casual labor... That didn't work out so well! I have recently fired one such person for insubordination,unexcused absences and being late repeatedly. So he goes to the unemployment office and signs right up. Well the tax division of such office gives me a ring, informs me that the 12 month or 1000 hour rule does not apply to S.C. residents and that he would be considered an employee. So on to my question... How would I go about collecting that employees 8.5 percent taxes on his total earned wages for the year when he left on NOT good terms. Or am I stuck footing the bill having learned a costly mistake?

    Please help

    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Dec 5, 2007, 08:28 PM
    You are basically stuck, also remember that you have unemployment tax to pay on employees that come out of your pocket, you have to pay a portion of all of their social security taxes, nornally they pay 7.5 percent and you pay the other 7.5 percent out of your pocket, as employees they are covered under workers comp, so you will need insurance for that.

    Also you needed an attorney, since a 1099 employee can work various hours, it depends on there relationship with you, if they control the hours work, or if they are self employed and merely sub contract to you. There are people who would appear to be a full time employee but because of the contractial relationship with a written contract can be and stay a 1099 employee. Sounds like you need a trip to a labor attorney for more lessons.
    michealb's Avatar
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129
    Full Member

    Dec 5, 2007, 08:45 PM
    I thought if you were fired you didn't get unemployment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payroll taxes [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculat employer payroll taxes? I have no idea where to start.:confused:

Taxes when on International payroll [ 2 Answers ]

Folks, Due to my visa status (OPT - H1B out of status gap), I'll be leaving the country for about 4 months and working from their international office. The employer has told me that I'll be transferred to their international payroll system and get paid in US dollars to my US bank Account. This...

Payroll Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

New to working in NJ and am unfamiliar with their tax lingo. What is FICASS, FICAMI, NJ W/T and NJ SUI taxes?

Payroll and payroll taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I'm completing a project for a high school accounting class. I need to know how to journalize the payment of payroll. I also need to know how to journalize the payment of the payroll taxes.

View more questions Search