Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AidenRaysMommy Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Nov 25, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Is My son eating enough?
    My son is 3 months. He eats about 3 1/2 oz every 4-6 hours. (breastmilk)
    A lot of my family tell me I'm not feeding him enough.. But he is gaining weight just fine. He has 6-8 wet diapers a day and 1-2 dirty diapers a day. I've tried feeding him more often and he doesn't seem to be intrested. He has severe acid reflux. He is on axid. Could it be that he's getting enough to eat that's why he's showing that he's not intrested? Or is it maybe because he's scared to eat because of his acid reflux? He's been on axid for about 2 months now.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:50 PM

If the doctor say he's a o kay then he's okay! It sounds like to me that he eats plenty enough-- each baby is different--- I honestly wouldn't really pay much attention to other's opinions.

The only opinon that should matter are the doctors!

I remember one mom telling me to give my daughter x-lax for her tumy troubles-- what a dum dum.

My point: follow doctor's orders not others :)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Nov 25, 2009, 10:58 PM

It sounds like the baby is having normal amount of pee pee diapers and poo diapers.

Like Sarah has said, and I will word it a little differently. Do you feel your feeding your baby enough? Never mind the tweety birdies whispering in your ear. Listen to your own motherly instincts and of course the doctor which will monitor the baby growth anyway.

Good luck.

Joe
    QLP Posts: 980, Reputation: 656

Dec 1, 2009, 05:23 PM

If your baby is gaining weight normally and his nappies are normal, then he is getting enough to eat.

I breastfed my kids and had no way of knowing how much they were getting so that's all I could go on. I assume you express. My babies did tend to have rather more dirty nappies than that but anything from once every couple of days to 4 times a day or more is normal for breastfed babies. They will tend to go longer between stools as they get older but not yet on solids and can sometimes go a good few days without pooing with no problems. Formula fed babies tend to be more regualar and get constipated if they don't poo every day.

Also, because breast milk is perfect for babies they probably don't need as much volume as they would with formula to get the nutrients they need. Formula-fed babies will tend to put on weight more quickly. If the people advising you are formula feeders that's a whole different thing so their experiences aren't valid to breastfeeding moms.

The number of wet nappies sounds reassuring - if he wasn't weeing much I would be concerned but that doesn't seem to be the case at all. 6-8 wet nappies sounds perfectly normal.

A lot of babies have tummy troubles which often seem to settle at around 3-6 months so it might be worth asking the doctors how much longer he needs to be on the meds for the acid reflux and just keep letting them reassure you he's doing OK.

You will find when you have a baby that eveyone in the universe is an expert and their way is always right - ignore it - by all means ask advice when you want it and listen to the experts but trust yourself to make the right decisions.

P.s Nappies = diapers if that's not clear - sorry I'm English not American.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 1, 2009, 05:26 PM
    I agree with everyone else. I'm just curious about the acid reflux and the breast feeding. Have you correlated it to anything you may be eating that is causing the reflux?
    AidenRaysMommy Posts: 21, Reputation: -1

Dec 7, 2009, 12:02 PM

I was worried it was something I was eating too, so I changed my ways of eating. And everything is still the same. Acid reflux runs in my family and his fathers family.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Let my son be or keep fighting? [ 39 Answers ]

My son's father and I broke up in 2005, he was very physically abusive and I did not want my son to be apart of it, so I left him. After about a year or so, my son's father came after me for full custody of son. My son was about 1 1/2 at the time. My ex at this time had one DUI, a life's...

Son of a US Citizen [ 2 Answers ]

My mom went to the US with a H1b visa, and on July 1992 My whole family went to the US embassy consulate for an interview and I was the only one been refused a visa because I exceeded the required age for a dependent. Now my mom is already a US citizen so as my brother and sister. Now I'm already...

How does my Husband go about adopting my son? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am getting married and I was wondering how my husband should go about adopting my son? His father has not been in the picture. What steps should he take for the adoption process?

View more questions Search