Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tcoope Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Sick pup
    I adopted a puppy from the shelter Monday, her first vet visit was that same day. He said she had Coccidia and possibly worms and gave meds. She started having diarreah vomiting fever and listlessness the next day. We rushed her back and they said possibly Parvo. Hey kept her in hosp. over night on IV, the next day, after having put out close to 700.00 they said I should take her home if I couldn't pay more(which I can't) her insurance won't kick in for 14 days I'm not even sure it is Parvo, but she is deteriorating with blood in stools now, advice?
    Shine Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I used to work as a vet assistant and I hate to be a downer but... parvo is a serious illness. It is virus that runs quickly through litters and is very deadly. I have only seen one puppy make it through, but I always have hope. Parvo is sort of a stomach virus and has a very distinctive smell. Bascially the dogs die from dehydration because of the vomiting and diareha. The pup needs medical attention! And the shelter you got him from should be told, so they can properly disinfect the kennel and check to see if it has spread to other pups.

I hope your puppy makes it through!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
    How terrible. If it is the parvo it sounds like, I am afraid her only chance is to stay at the vet's. You could take her home and try to pour Pedilyte or Gator Aid into her, but I doubt it will help. For reliable information on parvo, see Canine Parvovirus, What you should know about There is no cure for parvo. You can only try to keep the puppy from dehydrating while its body overcomes it. It is a horrible, awful disease killing many puppies just after they won somebody's heart. I hate it.

I encourage people to adopt from shelters, but hate to see reports like yours. At least you didn't pay a good price to a breeder and end up with the same thing.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
    You might want to visit the shelter and show them the bills. Ask to speak to the shelter manager. Tell her what has happened since you picked up the pup and you are worried that the pup won't pull through. There is a certain amount of responsibility the shelter usually takes for problems that occur in a reasonable time. It is evident these problems happened immediately. Hightail it over there and have a serious and CALM chat with them. Your vet should speak with their staff vet. This kind of stuff happens and it is always possible the puppy picked up the virus at your vets office, but they need to be aware that there might be a parvo outbreak in their midst. Look at the contract you signed. There is usually something in it about returning dogs and illness. If they don't pick up the bills completely, they should pay a portion of them. Labman is right, your puppy needs to be able to be monitored by the vet for it to have any chance of pulling through this. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Still need help on my beagle pup [ 5 Answers ]

I am still having the same problems as before with my beagle... the kennel training for us has been hell... I thought dogs aren't supposed to pooh in their sleeping space and eating place?. is it just a phase pups go through when they pee when they haven't seen you in awhile?. im getting all kinds...

How much to feed a new pup [ 4 Answers ]

We have a 8wk old lab who is adjusting well but we are concerned on how much to feed him. From what I have read Labs are synonymes w/ overeating but we want to make sure he has enough. What is the best way to judge he's eating enough but not too much?

Peeing pup! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Our 16 week springer was really getting the hang of trotting off up the garden to pee. In the last few days she has begun to sit on the back step, refusing to go to her usual spot. We encourage her to return to the spot, where she just wanders around sniffing or playing. When she comes in, she...

My Pup The Lab [ 2 Answers ]

My Pup( yellow Lab) have a bad small after Taking daily walks, I head that a Lab has 2 coats, and that they should not be bath but once a month, that is not enough for my lab, she needs a bath once a week. She is 5 months old and I have bath her once a weeks, sense she was 8 weeks. So far her coat...

Sneezing pup [ 4 Answers ]

We recently adopted a mixed female pup who (according to the SPCA and our vet) seems to be predominantly lab, is very small for her age (weighed 4lbs at 7 weeks) and so far is behaving like a lab puppy should behave. However, she sneezes a lot. Is this something to be concerned about? Is it...

View more questions Search