Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NightAlone Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Need Help Moving Out
    Here's the story.

I'm fifteen years old. I live with my mom and dad. I haven't had contact with one of my sisters for eight years. My parents made sure she couldn't come in contact with me because they thought she'd brainwash me against them.

My sister found me on myspace. She's 27 years old. I felt odd talking to her at first, I mean, how are you supposed to feel towards a "sister" you haven't seen in so long? Turns out, I actually remember being her little sidekick. She actually acted as a mom for me because my parents were drunken child abusers. That's right, my dad beat her. Not my other sister. They just hated this one. My mom and dad separated due to spousal abuse. My mom and sister and I lived in an apartment, where my mom made my sister work a gazillion hours a day, and then took the money she earned because she couldn't "afford" the apartment on just her income alone. My parents got back together, and my sister and dad wanted nothing to do with each other. My parents gave her a week to move out. She was about to live in her car until she got some help. I never got to see her, until the day we moved when we took a picture together at Wal*Mart. All three sisters, together for the last time.

So, you read my dad beat her. He's done the same things to me. He doesn't drink anymore, and my mom has always sat back and let things happen. But my dad's not abusive anymore towards either of us. My sister and I share the same resentment towards my parents. She promised herself that if he ever laid a hand on me, she'd send me a plane ticket. I told her that he has physically and emotionally abused me before, and she offered for me to move out there with her, and that I was no burden at all.

My parents have gone through the list of people they could give me up to, a few years ago, from a problem we were having. So I know there's a chance of them letting me stay with her. I've been acting weird around them, angry and resentful, not happy like usual. I hate them, honestly. I should be with my real family. Both my sisters, my brother in law, my nephew, my aunt and uncle. See, I have family out there.

I don't know how to bring it up to them about me wanting to move away without letting them know that I've been talking to my sister. They'd put all the blame on her, and think she was brainwashing me or something. I have no way to tell if they would say "Fine, do whatever the hell you want. If you don't want anything to do with us, then we'll never talk to you again." Which wouldn't bother me any.

So how do I bring it up? I'm sure my other sister would also take me in, and she talks to my mom a few times a week.

Please give me advice, I'm so emotionally driven towards what I want, and I know this feeling won't pass. I know it.

Thanks for all of you who reply.
    Knowledgefinder Posts: 45, Reputation: 6

Oct 12, 2006, 12:28 AM
    I'm sure your sister could do something about this.

If you really want to get away, let your sister help you. If she wants you to come be with her, she'll be able to help you find a way, without breaking any rules.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2006, 02:00 AM
    Do you think your sister is brain washing you?
    I don't think she is. Your sister sounds more sane and mature then your parents, so if I were you (esp that your sister wants to help you) I would go be with her, seek her support. She understands what you are going through.

If it won't bother you what your parents will say, then just say it. Say your getting out and going to live with your sister.

Oct 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Update:

I heeded my peers and the people who replied to this thread's advice. I mean, if I were my friend I'd tell me to just spill my beans too. So after I got to school today, and the first bell rang, I went to the office and called home. I wanted to tell my MOM first, without my dad there. He's not usually too calm about things like this.

Basically it lead to the conclusion that I'm as selfish as my sister, and ungrateful for what I have. It's true, and I know it. I have everything I could ever need here, and I don't want it.

My mom had lunch with my dad today, and I'm still at home. She said they were going to think about it, but it's not an overnight decision. She doesn't want to sign me over to a daughter she doesn't have contact with. I can understand that, I guess. Somehow, I hope everything works out.

I'll keep updating, I guess.

:o
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2006, 01:03 PM
    I disagree with the other answers here and I'm glad you are still at home. The reason I disagree is because the information we are getting is one sided. I'm not suggesting you are lying, just that you are telling us the story from YOUR perspective. If we heard from your parents it might be a different story.

If living with your parents is a problem, then you need to talk to someone. If you went to your school guidance counselor and reported that your father beats you, they would HAVE to report it to the appropriate authorities. This would get the proper people involved to investigate and determine the best course of action.

That course of action might wind up being for you to go live with the older sister. It might involve counseling and monitoring of your parents which might improve your current home life. It might involve some other alternatives.

But to advise you to run away to your sister, based solely on the info you have provided here is irresponsible, In my opinion.

You do need to get help, but you need to get it from professionals who can investigate the real situation and act on that.

Oct 13, 2006, 01:07 PM
    Living with my parents at the moment isn't a problem. My dad doesn't hurt me anymore. I'm on meds to controld epression and cutting and bipolar disorder and all of that bull**** that can't be true, and counselors ruin everything in your life, basically.
    I've had counseling before, three counselors to be exact. Didn't work out and nothing's changed. Moving in with my sister is a choice they might let me make. I wouldn't be running away, so don't give me that bull****. Lol. I need to get help? What the hell, man?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 13, 2006, 01:13 PM
    You just proved my point. Now we find out you are bi-polar and on meds. Can your sister afford to keep you in supply? Is she prepared and capable of dealing with your being bi-polar?

Counselors do NOT "ruin everything in your life". There are good and bad counselors. There are also good and bad patients. You get out of counseling only what you put into it. You need to keep looking for a counselor who can find the key to helping you.

Your initial post referred to going to your sister without your parent's permission, that WOULD be running away.

Yes, I'm even more convinced that you need to get help and I sincerely hope that you get it.

Nov 9, 2006, 05:59 PM
    I would be off my meds, cause I think all that stuff was a phase, I've convinced myself that I don't need them after so long of knowing that I do.

Anyway,

The fam has agreed to let me spend the summer in California with one of my sisters, but not the awesome one. I guess it's an okay compromise, not so out there and stuff.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moving [ 3 Answers ]

I have been living in a friends house (watching over it since NOV 2005) after she moved permatnately back to FL. I have been paying the bills (phone,electric,water) since she left. I had been talking to her about buying the house right after she left and she told me that she would let me know....

Moving? [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I are thinking about moving to Arizona, near laughlin. Can anyone tell me what the weather will be like all year, what kind of job opportunities there are, etc. I've lived in California my entire life and I don't want to jump into something so quickly without knowing anything. Any...

Moving on.. [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! I was just wondering.. I had a very intense friendship/relationship with my best guy friend.. and because it got really complicated I asked him to choose.. friends or couple. He chose friends. How long do you suggest I wait before going into a new relationship? (I really got screwed up in...

Moving a register [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to move a wall in a basement remodel project. The wall has a 11" X 3" duct running down the wall to a return register. This duct is tapped off a larger duct in the ceiling (8" X 12" I think). I need to move the wall back 6' so the duct in the wall needs to be taken out and moved...

Moving in [ 8 Answers ]

Does everyone get scared of the transition of moving in with their other half? Is there any right/wrong way of going about it, or a way to allay these fears? Is it a learning process to live with someone else, or should you be able to just do it? My other half is worried that it might wreak...

View more questions Search