Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    kaljana's Avatar
    kaljana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 21, 2016, 01:05 AM
    L1 visa Taxes when the stay is on perdiem and above 183 days in an year

    I am working for an IT company and I have been travelling on L1 Visa for past 3 years and my employer pays Indian Salary and I am paying tax in India.

    [FONT=Arial, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=#000000] I found the below link and based on that I have calculated the days and it holds true.[/COLOR][/FONT]

    So, if this holds true, then in my case the total number of days of my stay (including earlier travel and current travel) will be of more than 400 days.

    1. Please confirm if this understanding holds true?
    2. If yes, do I need to pay tax on per diem allowance I received during this two visit? I was paid $50 per diem for each day. I have notified my company about the same for direction in 2015 and still didn't get proper direction and they haven't paid my taxes.

    3. Lastly, if I don't do any of the above, will it be a illegal and what are the complications, will this be individual case or Company should handle this.

    I am regularly paying taxes for complete year in India for all the years I stayed in USA. Now they are planning to move me to USA payroll with out paying the taxes.

Check out some similar questions!

Stay less than 183 days on J2 visa [ 1 Answers ]

I am in US for the whole last year. My wife and children came to US on Feb 24 and went back to India to attend a marriage on August 14th and did not return back to US for the rest of the year. This makes their stay in US less than 183 days by some 10 days. Can I claim the tax exemption for them or...

L1 183 Days, Need to go back if not paying any taxes? I want to stay for 10 more days [ 3 Answers ]

I am in US from 27th Aug 2010 and getting per day expense from my company. This is not as a salary, I am still getting the salary from my same employer in India. With this arrangements, I am not paying any tax to US. If I plan to stay for more than 183 days may be for 10 days more would I or my...

Having L1 Visa stay less than 183 days 1040 or 1040NR? [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US on 3 rd Aug 2009 along with my wife and kid. I visited US 2008 in business Visa and stayed for 56 days. In 2009 visited in business visa for 11 days. Do I need to file for 1040 or 1040NR? Do I qualify for exemptions for myself and spouse? Thanks

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.