Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #1

    May 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
    I have a learning disability would a job as an admin asst. or computer tech be hard
    I want to go back to college and was thinking to become a computer support technician or administrative assistant. I heard the admin job is stressful. My learning disability isn't severe at all. Please help me make my decision.
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,286, Reputation: 5645
    Expert
     
    #2

    May 25, 2013, 09:11 PM
    It's hard to say if we don't know what your learning disability is.
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #3

    May 25, 2013, 09:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    It's hard to say if we don't know what your learning disability is.
    I never knew what my learning disability was. I was diagnosed when I was in middle school and never was told what it is.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,870, Reputation: 5429
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #4

    May 25, 2013, 09:17 PM
    How does your learning disability show up? In remembering? In reading? In understanding what has been written or said?
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #5

    May 25, 2013, 09:38 PM
    What type of trouble did you have in middle school and what help did you receive?
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #6

    May 25, 2013, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How does your learning disability show up? In remembering? In reading? In understanding what has been written or said?
    Math, not really the basics just those hard, complicated stuff lol. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding what has been written or said. I don't have too much of a problem with memory. Hope this helps!
    J_9's Avatar
    J_9 Posts: 40,286, Reputation: 5645
    Expert
     
    #7

    May 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
    This all sounds perfectly normal to me. I don't see a learning disability here.

    For example, I can't do the basic "stuff." I don't know my times tables by memory, but I can do Kramer's Rule in my sleep. I can compound drugs (medication) with my eyes closed, but I can't add 2+2 without using my fingers.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,870, Reputation: 5429
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #8

    May 25, 2013, 09:51 PM
    Does a parent know what your problem had been in school and will tell you more?

    What are you good at (or think you would be good at) in an office situation?
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #9

    May 25, 2013, 09:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    What type of trouble did you have in middle school and what help did you receive?
    I want to first mention I was switched into special ed classes towards the end of 8th grade so when I was in high school I took special ed classes in math, science, social studies and I don't remember what other class.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #10

    May 25, 2013, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    I want to first mention I was switched into special ed classes towards the end of 8th grade so when I was in high school I took special ed classes in math, science, social studies and I don't remember what other class.
    Did you take tests in writing or have them read to you? I'm wondering if you are given multiple tasks, can you remember them?
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #11

    May 25, 2013, 10:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Does a parent know what your problem had been in school and will tell you more?

    What are you good at (or think you would be good at) in an office situation?
    Yes they did know but they wasn't told anything. I still have copies of the testing the school did. When I just looked at the papers when it said what kind of disability I had it said learning disability. It also said I had some difficulty in math, reading, and what was being said or written.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #12

    May 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    Yes they did know but they wasn't told anything. I still have copies of the testing the school did. When I just looked at the papers when it said what kind of disability I had it said learning disability. It also said I had some difficulty in math, reading, and what was being said or written.
    Is this from your IEP? What accommodations did they say you would receive? (More time for tests, oral tests, etc.)
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,870, Reputation: 5429
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #13

    May 25, 2013, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    Yes they did know but they wasn't told anything. I still have copies of the testing the school did. When I just looked at the papers when it said what kind of disability I had it said learning disability. It also said I had some difficulty in math, reading, and what was being said or written.
    And you are how old now? Around 18?
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #14

    May 25, 2013, 10:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    And you are how old now? Around 18?
    I am 24 now. I think in an office setting I will be good with filing and organization. I know some of the ms word suites. I think if I were given multiple task I wouldn't remember them, I would need to write them down or have them repeated to me a couple times. When I took tests they were both in writing and I had them read to me. Yes these papers are my IEP and the accomdation I received is more time on tests.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #15

    May 25, 2013, 10:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    I am 24 now. I think in an office setting I will be good with filing and organization. I know some of the ms word suites. I think if I were given multiple task I wouldn't remember them, I would need to write them down or have them repeated to me a couple times. When I took tests they were both in writing and I had them read to me. Yes these papers are my IEP and the accomdation I received is more time on tests.
    Well, I hope you can write quickly because a boss usually will not want to repeat instructions. How are your phone skills?
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #16

    May 25, 2013, 10:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacherjenn4 View Post
    Well, I hope you can write quickly because a boss usually will not want to repeat instructions. How are your phone skills?
    Yeah I know. I think my phone skills are OK.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #17

    May 25, 2013, 10:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    Yeah I know. I think my phone skills are ok.
    Have you tried an office job in a school? That might be a good direction to take.
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #18

    May 25, 2013, 10:36 PM
    Yeah when I was in high school I had a job as an office assistant but I only did filing and photocopying and then 2 years ago I volunteered to do office work that involved mailings and phones. I was at these 2 places for a short time. I'm still looking for office work. I have a job now at a supermarket.
    teacherjenn4's Avatar
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 3,998, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert
     
    #19

    May 25, 2013, 10:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    Yeah when I was in high school I had a job as an office assistant but I only did filing and photocopying and then 2 years ago I volunteered to do office work that involved mailings and phones. I was at these 2 places for a short time. I'm still looking for office work. I have a job now at a supermarket.
    What do you do at the supermarket? I used to work in one from high school through college.
    sweetpie88's Avatar
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2
    Junior Member
     
    #20

    May 25, 2013, 10:49 PM
    I'm a health and beauty aid clerk. I put the products on the shelves and check expiration dates in the health and beauty aisle. I do the same sometimes in the other aisles

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search


Check out some similar questions!

Distance Learning In India (M.tech computer science) [ 4 Answers ]

Dear all Would u please tell me ,which universities in india offering Distance learning(M.tech) With computer science I am haing 3 years of IT experience. Please suggest me.

Distance learning m tech [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I want to do M Tec in Wind turbine Technology. So please give giudance for the same. I have completed my DEE and BE in Electrical. Or any other Program related to Wind turbine technology. Please reply.

M.tech distance learning [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know whether a bca grad is eligible to do ME/M.Tech? What difference does it make when a bca grad does ME, M.Tech, MCA or MS, and which is better for employability? Also which are the best universities in India/Karnataka offering distance learning for these?


View more questions Search