Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josejordanmike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 04:25 PM
    How can I get my handgun license in nyc while on probation?
    "I was arrested when I was 15 years old for assault in the 1st degree, I went to court and the judge gave me 5 yrs probation as youth offender. I'm 21 years old now with 2 more years to go... I want to know can I still get my firearm permit in nyc while on probation?
    josejordanmike Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2009, 04:37 PM

Can some one answer my question please
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2009, 04:47 PM

Jose

It is almost impossible to get a hand gun permit in NYC, even if u have never been arrested. Your chances are next to nil.

The only ones that have little trouble is a police officer. Even some of them are refused.

Chuck
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 13, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by josejordanmike View Post
    can some one answer my question please
    Please be patient. The person(s) who may be able to answer your question may not be online. We are regular people who live regular lives to volunteer our time here.

Now that that is said. No, you won't get a handgun permit until your probation is over, and then it is still doubtful depending on the crime.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 06:30 PM

In NY, no, J9 is right. I have no idea where the information about how difficult it is to get a handgun permit came from - I'm in NY, I have a carry permit, many of my coworkers have permits, none of us have had a problem.

But not while on probation -
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Jose

It is almost impossible to get a hand gun permit in NYC, even if u have never been arrested. Your chances are next to nil.

The only ones that have little trouble is a police officer. Even some of them are refused.

Chuck

Do you have a source for this? This is not my experience and I would like to know if you have statistics or the basis for this.

I am not aware of any police officer at any level being refused.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2009, 12:40 AM

When I got my permit to carry New York City and Albany were liecensed separate.

Have some (4) friends that are retired police and live in Westchester county that have not been able to get permit for NYC. If not needed for work related reason, is very hard for hand gun.

Rifle permit for city not a problem.

Chuck
    kingbajatanga Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Sorry Dude you don't qualify to obtain a handgun permit in NYC. Save your money.
    kingbajatanga Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 11:04 AM
    Sorry dude,save your money.The NYPD is very strict when it comes to issuing Handgun permits to individuals
    With prior arrest regarding assault.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    In NY, no, J9 is right. I have no idea where the information about how difficult it is to get a handgun permit came from - I'm in NY, I have a carry permit, many of my coworkers have permits, none of us have had a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    when I got my permit to carry New York City and Albany were liecensed seperate.
    That's sort of what I was going to say. I have noticed that NYC and the rest of the state appear to have two different sets of laws.

JKT, is your permit good in NYC?
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 12:04 PM

No.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 03:16 PM

Can't imagine why you would want or need a gun in NYC as all the criminals have them and if you have one and a criminal wants your wallet, guess what, he'll shoot you before you shoot him. Not a good idea to even own a gun of any kind in NYC as they can be stolen, etc. and then you must explain why you even have one in the first place when it is stolen, etc. Let me guess, you like taking potshots at the pigeons or squirrels in Central Park?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 03:17 PM

Since this thread is from 2009 and the OP never returned, I am now closing this thread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Violation of probation and driving on a suspended license [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé was arrested on the July 11th. He was charged with violation of probation and driving on a suspended license 3rd offense, but he has never been caught before so it should only be his 1st offense, I'm not sure what happened with that. He got a $500 bond for driving on a suspended license...

Reciprocal handgun laws [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a credible site that posts reciprocal handgun states for valid permit carriers from Indiana? I am asking because I want to be in accordance with the law while travelling from Indiana on vacation this summer. The Indiana State Police have been less than helpful with this...

Smith & Wessen Handgun [ 1 Answers ]

My father passed away and left me a Smith & Wessen pearl handled handgun. I do not know anything about guns, but would like to know more about this one. It looks like a german style with no hammer. On the top of the barrel it has "Smith & Wessen Springfield, Mass U.S.A. Pat'd May 11 80, Oct 2 83...

DUI Probation - Drove withouth a license [ 1 Answers ]

I received a DUI 3 years ago. Last year my I totally forgot to re-new my drivers license. So I was actually driving without a license for a couple of months. I went in to the DMV and passed their test & my license was re-newed. I have not had any tickets or even pulled over. My probation...

Handgun Possession Law [ 20 Answers ]

My wife bought a gun (shotgun) for personal protection and protecting her livestock from being killed by predators. I am an ex-convict from some stupid stunts 35 years ago, can I get in trouble from her having this in our home? She also wants a 22 Hornet, both are single shot.

View more questions Search