Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JRamos Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2009, 10:51 AM
    Fill 'er up
    The tank on my toilet was working just fine up until a couple of days ago. Now the water pressure that fills it is so low it's taking FOREVER to get it full again. What could be the cause & how can I fix this?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 10:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JRamos View Post
    The tank on my toilet was working just fine up until a couple of days ago. Now the water pressure that fills it is so low it's taking FOREVER to get it full again. What could be the cause & how can I fix this?
    Which ballcock is yours? (see images)
    Attached Images

Apr 20, 2009, 11:05 AM
    The one on the left
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JRamos View Post
    The one on the left
    Thought so! Easy repair. The center hole in the seal,(see image) has swelled shut and won't allow water to pass. So you have a FluidMaster ball cock. This is a common problem with these ballcocks. They have a small washer with a hole,(see image) in the center that swells shut in time preventing water from entering the tank.
    Purchase a FluidMaster Seal#242 from your local big box store. To replace it you will have to shut the water off to the tank and take the tank lid off. Twist the top of the ballcock off counterclockwise, (see image) and pull up. Pry out the seal and replace it. Reassemble, turn the water back on and give it a flush. Better now? Regards, Tom
    Attached Images

Apr 20, 2009, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Thought so! Easy repair. The center hole in the seal,(see image) has swelled shut and won't allow water to pass. So you have a FluidMaster ball cock. This is a common problem with these ballcocks. They have a small washer with a hole,(see image) in the center that swells shut in time preventing water from entering the tank.
    Purchase a FluidMaster Seal#242 from your local big box store. To replace it you will have to shut the water off to the tank and take the tank lid off. Twist the top of the ballcock off counterclockwise, (see image) and pull up. Pry out the seal and replace it. Reassemble, turn the water back on and give it a flush. Better now? Regards, Tom
    Thanks for the advice how much do one of those seals go for?
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 04:03 PM
    Thanks for the advice how much do one of those seals go for?
    How does less then five bucks sound?

Apr 20, 2009, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    How does less then five bucks sound?
    Sounds good to me!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet continues to fill but it does not fill [ 4 Answers ]

My toilet continues to fill and fill but it never does get filled. I googled this and found a lot of help and have searched this forum but I couldn't find an answer. - I noticed a leak at the top of the tower which has the rod then the ball thing attached to it, I tightened those screws at the...

Dishwasher won't fill [ 3 Answers ]

My dishwasher dosen' fill with enough water (it used to!) and the result is dishes that are not clean. I can tell when it's running with out enough water because it make a growling or grinding sort of noise. If I'm available, I can dump hot water in to fill it and then it works just fine till the...

Fill in the Gap [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I have just replaced an old shower tray with a new one, however the new one is a tad smaller (760x760x90) than the old one. Once I replaced the pipe, waste trap and had the tray in position, it became apparent there were gaps at the back and to the left of the cubicle. My question...

What form should I fill? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is my third year in the states. I came as a visiting teacher under a J-1 visa. What form should I fill? Thanks

View more questions Search