Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wendi0305 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2010, 07:43 PM
    What Is the Value of a 1935 A Silver Certificate?
    I have a 5 dollar silver certificate bill. Series is 1935 A, serial # D88178414A (ink is blue) Robert B Anderson secretary of treasury with a Blue Seal. I was wanting to know the value if at all possible.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2010, 10:25 PM
    Hi, Wendi0305!

I titled and moved the question that you had posted on the old and now archived thread of someone else to a thread by itself so that it will be more visible and recognized as being your own question.

This place doesn't work the same way that a chat room does. New questions that aren't in some way an answer to the very first question at the top of the page need to be asked by starting new threads.

Concerning your question - Do you know what the graded condition is of what you have, please?

Also, Flying Blue Eagle is the Expert here who has the current documentation as to the possible monetary values of coins and currency. As such, I'm sure that he'll come along to address your question.

Thanks!
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 08:11 PM

Wendi0305-#1- I need to know the condition and grade of the silver certificate that you have;; Also I need you to look real close at the dateIN 1935,there was no ne printed sorry;; WAITING your reply;; have a great day and "GOD BLESS" F.B.E.
    PS -go to this site to find out the grade and condition of the bill in question 1.9}How do you grade the condit tion of paper money
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 11:24 PM
    Here's the link to the section on how to grade to which Flying Blue Eagle is referring.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/collec...ns-303795.html

Jan 12, 2010, 06:37 PM

Well as far as the grade, not quite sure how to grade it. Let me describe this and maybe you can assist in helping me in that area.
    There is 2 folds to the bill once in the center and the second one is a second fold in the center of that one. The outer ridges on the lower left corner is wrinkled, and the upper right corner is wrinkled but both are present.

Jan 12, 2010, 06:42 PM
    This bill was given to me as change in a post office in Fort Lauderdale. So it was circulated. And Lincoln's face on the left side has a small but noticeable crease. What I did not give is that at the top of the bill it states: Silver Certificate - This certifies that there is on deposit in the treasury of the United States of America. And at the bottom - FIVE DOLLARS - in Silver Payable to the Bearer on Demand. Hope this describes in full
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2010, 11:10 PM

Wendi0305 - YOU have a {1935A}series,$5.00 silver certificate;{note-}
    Please do me a favor and double check the ( series date and letter; I have looked in several books and I cannot find the series date and letter you posted there are series 1934andthengoes to the 1953series SEE if it is'nt a 1934A series;{ NOTE - AS to the condition and grade that I can make out is that it would probably go as a VF-20} {VF-20)MEANS ( VERY FINE GRADE 20} NOTE- Production ofg the $5.00 ,silver certificate ended in 1962;; Have a great day and GOD BLESS;; waiting for your reply;;F.B.E.

Jan 13, 2010, 09:10 AM

Series 1953 A - very clear and it is right before Robert B Anderson's signature serial # D88178414A typed in blue on the $5 bill. If it would help I can take a picture and send it to you. Let me know and I will be happy to. So when you say a VF-20 what does that mean really? Sorry I am rather dumb when it comes to these kind of things. And you have a great day to and GOD BLESS.
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2010, 11:46 PM

Wendi0305- Now I agree on the date and letter, I sure was confused on the 1935A serie
    s,blew my mind. Being a 1953A series ,I can help you out:: the 1953A,signatures are Priest and ANDERSON;;SILVER CERTIFICATE:: values are ,For VF-20-$8.50][UNC-63-
    $35.00] Now if it is a star note{NOTE HAS a star at ate start of the serial number or at the end of the serial number it is a star note, a star note is quite a lot more valuable
    then a regular note::Star note values ;;For VF-20-$25.00][ $75.00:: VF-20 Means -VERY FINE<GRADE 20}{ UNC-63 [MEANS - UNCIRCULATED -grade 63} Wendi go to the post above posted by {CLOUGH}Giveing you the site , the site tells you exactly what to look for in every grade and condition of the paper money}:: I hope that I have answered your questions , If I can be of more help just come back to this site and post it ;;Have a great day and GOD BLESS:: F.B.E.;; THANKS FOR THE POSTING CLOUGH!
    I HOPE THAT YOU enjoy the warmer weather coming your way this week. To day here it was up in the high 50's, But for the first day of above 32 degrees was yesterday since the 31st of DEC.MY ponds were froze thick enough to walk on ; First time in past 12 years. Have a great day and hiope youer doing better GOD BLESS F.B.E.
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2010, 12:50 AM
    You're welcome, Flying Blue Eagle!

Thank you for doing such a great job here! :)

Jan 18, 2010, 03:16 PM

So just for clarification for a simple mind here. If no star appears before or after then it is only worth $5 as it states and nothing more?

Thank you very much for all the help you have provided. God Bless
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2010, 10:27 PM

Wendi0305-the $5.00 note you have -
    From just guessing On what you postedI figured that it would possiblebly be a VF-20-{ Very Fine ,Grade 20; Which in the book is worth a value of {$8.50] IF you are wanting to sell it ,run a add the news paper under collectables,and more then likely you will have a currency collector call about it {NOTE -A collector will give more for it then any one else, more so if he or she needs that one to help complete a collection ] [ don't put your price or the condition [except -real good condition ] let them make a offer
    then refuse the first one and more then likely they will give you another offer and for more:: I hope that this helps you out on what you want to do with it ; AS a collector of coins and currency,for more then 60 years ,there have been times that I gave a lot more over book value, because of the need for compleation of a set ;this is why I am giving youy this information;; Good luck and GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Series.1935 E K41226176 I silver dollar certificate [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1935 E silver dollar certificate with blue seal serial # is K 41226176 I only one crease down the middle, was told in 2004 it was worth $285.00

1935 $1 Silver Certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a US $1 Silver Certificate, 1935 D, that I just received in change at a donut shop, and was curious as to it's value (if more than $1)? My father is 80 years old and was quite excited about the find! Thanks!

View more questions Search