Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newmommy618 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Unemployment benefits rights
    I was laid off for unsatifacory work performance. Will I be able to collect unemployment benefits? I was pregnant at the time and admit that I was not performing up to my level. I was sick every night and during the day. I was pushing myself to make the hour and half commute every day and never took any sick days off. I was exhaused all the time and admittedly made mistakes. My boss had stated that I seemed "distracted" during my pregnancy. I was laid off after the period of disability. My question is I have an interview with a benefis claims adjuster will any of this information help or hurt my chances of getting unemployment benefits?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 19, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Being laid off while you are pregnant seems to me to be unsatisfactory in that it sounds like discrimination. In Ontario if one is laid off, unemployment benefits kick in within two weeks. If you leave your employ, one must wait six weeks to collect.

I would explain everything to the adjuster when you go to your interview and ask him about the discrmination issue. I don't think you will have any problem collecting your benefits.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by newmommy618
    I was laid off for unsatifacory work performance. Will I be able to collect unemployment benefits? I was pregnant at the time and admit that I was not performing up to my level. I was sick every night and during the day. I was pushing myself to make the hour and half commute every day and never took any sick days off. I was exhaused all the time and admittedly made mistakes. My boss had stated that I seemed "distracted" during my pregnancy. I was laid off after the period of disability. My question is I have an interview with a benefis claims adjuster will any of this information help or hurt my chances of getting unemployment benefits?

In most States - if you are in the US - you cannot collect if you are fired for cause, such as unsatisfactory work performance.

In NYS - my experience - the reason for the poor work performance does not carry a lot of weight. Employers paying a salary expect the job to be done. If you cannot perform your duties due to a medical condition, then you are expected to file for disability benefits until you can perform your duties.

If you were fired in a discriminatory manner for going on disability, if there is a pattern of firing pregnant women, if you can PROVE this is the case, then you can collect.
    JuliaPenny Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 26, 2008, 11:43 PM
    I would recommend that you contact your DOL State Office to find out your rights with regard to unemployment benefits as eligibility for unemployment insurance, benefit amounts and the length of time benefits are available are determined by the State law.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 27, 2008, 08:08 AM

Hello, in the US there is no "right" there is unemployment insurance managed by the state and required of most employers.

Each state has specific rules of when you can or when you can't get the unemployment.

In the US there are several things, 1. you have to be available to work, 2. and you have to be able to work ( physically able) 3. and you have to be looking for work.

In most you can not be fired for cause ( a reason)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unemployment benefits after Workers Comp claim? [ 3 Answers ]

Does an employee qulaify for unemeployment benefits if they have been on a workers compenasation insurance claim for about 2.5 months when they are ready to return for work? I have an employee who has been filmed by a workers comp private detective working at his house, virtually without limits or...

Unemployment [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Does It Take To Receive My Unemployment When I'm Laid Off For A Week. My Company File Our Unemployment. What Is The Maximum Wait To Receive My Funds...

Unemployment benefits [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I am the only employee in my organization. I have been told that they are not required to pay into unemployment and that I am not entitled to it in case of lay off because there are less than 4 employees. I thought everyone was entitled to it if they worked. Can anyone give me some...

Unemployment Benefits in Oregon [ 9 Answers ]

Who pays for unemployment benefits in Oregon? Can you provide a link? I've been searching and searching to find the answer, and can't find anything so I thought the wonderful people at AMHD would know!

Common law benefits or rights [ 3 Answers ]

I lived with my boyfriend for 20 years in New Jersey. He recently died. Am I entitled to his social security benefits? We have a child together who is 25 years old. I can prove his residency with me for all those years.

View more questions Search