Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    larry26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
    Unemployment benefits
    I live in Ohio. I am the only employee in my organization. I have been told that they are not required to pay into unemployment and that I am not entitled to it in case of lay off because there are less than 4 employees. I thought everyone was entitled to it if they worked. Can anyone give me some info?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Hello larry:

The following is from the Ohio Department of Labor FAQ sheet:

---------------------------

Who is an "Employer" for purposes of U.C. coverage?

There are three types of employers: those who run a business, those who are engaged in agriculture, and those who hire domestic services. Employers who run a business can be a person or a legal entity and include:

Sole Proprietors
    Partnerships
    Joint Ventures
    Corporations
    Limited Liability Companies
    Associations
    Fiduciaries, including estates and trusts
    Non-profit 501(c)(3) Organizations
    Public Entities
    Other Organizations

With the exception of non-profit 501(c)(3) organizations and public entities, if you run a business you may become subject to Ohio's unemployment law for one of these reasons:

You have at least one employee in covered employment for some portion of a day in each of 20 different weeks within either the current or the preceding calendar year; or

You paid wages of $1500 or more to employees in covered employment in any calendar quarter within either the current or the preceding calendar year; or You were subject to the Federal Unemployment Tax Act in either the current or preceding calendar year; or You acquired a business from an employer who was subject to the Ohio law at the time the change of ownership occurred; or

You elect to cover your employees voluntarily If you think you may be liable, or if you have questions about whether you are required to pay unemployment taxes, please contact the Contribution Section at 614-466-2319, or write to us at ODJFS, Contribution Section, PO Box 182404, Columbus, Ohio 43218-2404. You may also contact a local Compliance office.

------------------

Looks to me like they're lying to you.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I view my unemployment W-2 [ 21 Answers ]

I misplaced my husband unemployment W-2 and need it to finish our taxes is there a way to view it online:confused:

Unemployment w2 [ 6 Answers ]

Is it possible to get your w2 for unemployment off the internet?

Unemployment benefits after Workers Comp claim? [ 3 Answers ]

Does an employee qulaify for unemeployment benefits if they have been on a workers compenasation insurance claim for about 2.5 months when they are ready to return for work? I have an employee who has been filmed by a workers comp private detective working at his house, virtually without limits or...

Unemployment [ 4 Answers ]

How Long Does It Take To Receive My Unemployment When I'm Laid Off For A Week. My Company File Our Unemployment. What Is The Maximum Wait To Receive My Funds...

Unemployment Benefits in Oregon [ 9 Answers ]

Who pays for unemployment benefits in Oregon? Can you provide a link? I've been searching and searching to find the answer, and can't find anything so I thought the wonderful people at AMHD would know!

View more questions Search