Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    KCarr18's Avatar
    KCarr18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 27, 2018, 07:22 PM
    Senior that has income that only meet our debts so can we get help on home improvemen
    My husband & I are over 62 years & have our home paid in full. However, we only get SS income which pay our debts. Is there any help we can get for much needed home improvement. Our home is 35 years old & falling apart with much draftiness & old HVAC equipment, along with other problems. Any programs that will help us?
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 54,328, Reputation: 10855

    Jan 27, 2018, 07:52 PM
    Talk to someone, your bank maybe, about the many ways you can use your home value to secure the funds for improvement and pay off your debts. Structured right, a reverse mortgage can eliminate your debts, but it's not your only option. Are either of you veterans?

    Fair warning, only deal with reputable people/institutions, because there are sharks everywhere.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Jan 28, 2018, 07:17 AM
    Help without cost is a very local thing, and you just can't expect much.

    Here's the deal as I see it:
    You either get a reverse mortgage, in which you are paid monthly for your house, and then lose it to the lender, or you take out a loan, which I don't think you can afford (and you can't get a reverse mortgage with a loan lien on it). One big problem with them is that the lender is going to value your home less than it's probably worth, to cover themselves 30 years from now, or whenever it's ended. And they won't even give you a reverse mortgage if you home isn't up to their standards of sellable. I know someone who was refused just because several homes shared a well.


    You start planning now for a retirement facility, a step down community, with various housing options as you age and need more care. Because you do have the asset of a fully paid for home, I would look for a place that is non-profit, and has a deal where they take all your assets, but never kick you out, no matter what it costs them over and above your worth when you go in. And if your home isn't suited to old age needs in the first place, that's what I would do.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 28, 2018, 07:37 AM
    You can start by talking to the senior center and seeing if they have programs locally. Most are.

    Also at 62 you are allowed to make some income up to limits. So a part time job for one or both may be needed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grants for low-income medical debts [ 13 Answers ]

Are there grants for people with medical debt? Or grants for people that are low-income?

Bad debts in Budgeted Income Statements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am doing a Budgeted Income Statement. If there is a percentage of credit sales that will not be received therefore bad debts, should this be shown. From my readings, I understand that this will decreased the projected funds coming into the business, so I assume that they would have to...

Income tax for senior citizen [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir, I am a resident Indian senior citizen. I am retired from the government service and getting pension. I wanted to know my tax liability for the year with following earnings: -Income from Pension= 96000/- per year -Income from Short term capital gain (selling shares)-150000/- i.e....

Cancelled Debts with earned income credit [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a cancelled debt paper from a credit company that cancelled a debt. They did this on their own, I did not request it. I have a cancelled auto debt for 9061.00. I have three children and I qualify for the earned income tax credit. How will this cancelled debt affect my tax...

View more questions Search