Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    rfloyd224's Avatar
    rfloyd224 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 11, 2003, 11:33 PM
    Child Support Modification
    I am seeking a modification in my current child support payment. My current payment of $674 is created a financial hardship for me. All my utilities and rental payments are last monthly which cause a greater hardship due to the late fees. I have another child for which I have a voluntarily support payment of $350 monthly for which I am not able to meet. The court-ordered payment was issued in Maryland. As I understand my other imposing debts such as credit, car payments, insurance, etc. Are not considered factors for indebtness. My ex-wife makes considerably more than I do. Can someone please help me?
    Mylena36's Avatar
    Mylena36 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 29, 2003, 12:12 PM
    Child Support Modification
    It is easier than most think. Sit down and figure your total earnings.

    With the 2 different payments of child support, they should not exceed 40% of your take home pay.

    Also you can contact legal aid to help you. They account for all out going payments and can help.

    Also there are a few father support groups that have attorneys with them that will help you for a minimum fee or free.

    Hope this helps,

    LearningYing's Avatar
    LearningYing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 28, 2005, 12:57 AM
    Child Support modification - challenge current guideline
    From march 2001 I started paying child support ($3000+$250tuition/month + medical, dental, life insurance) based on 2 children under age 18. One of the 2 became 18 in 2001 but I did not request modifying the order until today. I overpaid support for almost 4 years on the percentage that was for 2 children overpayment is around $70000. Also would like to find legal representation who is willing to challenge the current guideline. I challenge it for 1) it is based on gross not net - I pay 30% federal tax, 5.6% state tax, 7.65% FICA tax on my pre-tax income. It is 43.25% of my income. So what I am essentially paying from my gross income is $4300 as a result of the $3000 child support. Then on top of that $420/month for tuition + medical, dental insurance + life insurance premium for ex-wife and minor child. So essentially I am paying $4720 of my gross income towards my ONLY ONE MINOR CHILD. 2) I am forced to pay things over and above standard costs for raising a child 3) My ex-wife income should be considered. 4) I have a new family to support and I am still trying to recover from the bankcrupcy as a result of the divorce. I have unresolved MAJOR pending expenses due to the bankcrupcy. I argue the amt I was forced to pay is hidden alimony (at least 60% of it).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Child Custody Modification [ 1 Answers ]

Our daughter was just served with papers and her ex is suing for primary custody. He has a high paying job while our daughter has struggled for two years. She cannot afford an attorney yet must respond in 8 more days or he will win by default. Can she answer his suit and file at the court house on...

Child Support Modification [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is still in college and in our divorce agreement was to have support until she reaches 22 if she is a full time student Massachusetts now has guidelines to the age of 23 when the child is a full time student. Is it possible to ask for a modification to the original agreement?

Child Support Modification/Massachusetts [ 1 Answers ]

I am going back for an increase in child support (Massachuetts). My ex is remarried for the third time and has shared physical custody of his two older daughters from his first marriage, age 18 and 16; neither parent pays support. 1) How much of his wife's income can be considered for my daughters...

View more questions Search