Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    SadButTrue's Avatar
    SadButTrue Posts: 3, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Feb 8, 2006, 09:11 AM
    Child Support Issues
    My live-in boyfriend (of 5 years) and I have a baby. He also has two teens that he pays child support to (25% of his income). He also has to travel to another state every other weekend to see them, which is very expensive. We are really struggling to make it. Meanwhile, his ex makes over $250,000, just built a big new house, pool, etc.. I know he is responsible for helping to take care of his children and I want that too, but is there a way to get his child support payments reduced so we that can actually make it without struggling every month just to pay the bills? The case is based in Texas where the CS payment percentages are mandatory and we can not afford to hire a lawyer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 8, 2006, 01:46 PM
    I am sorry, often child support does not appear fair and in some cases it is hard to understand.

    I do not know of a way to reduce it, since it is a required amount (percentage) to be paid.

    If the ex would agree to it, perhaps they could be a way around it. But only a good local attorney would know what your local judges have allowed in previous cases.
    wynelle's Avatar
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21
    Junior Member

    Feb 18, 2006, 07:39 PM
    I assume that you are working full-time, too?

    It is rough- child support payments, alimony payments, etc- but then he is their father, and he knew how much he was paying at the time the two of you chose to have a baby. On the good side, if they are teenagers, then soon they will be 18 and child support will stop.

    If it is too financially disabling to travel every other weekend, then he may have to limit travel to one weekend a month, and get a part-time job for the other weekends.

    As you have described her, I doubt the ex-wife will be willing to decrease payments on her own.
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,928, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

    Feb 19, 2006, 08:12 AM
    Hi, SadButTrue,
    You can't afford NOT to hire a lawyer, to check this out for you.
    Without a lawyer, the chances of having any changes made in child support, etc, are slim and none.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    hossbonnam's Avatar
    hossbonnam Posts: 62, Reputation: 9
    Junior Member

    Oct 15, 2007, 11:21 AM
    I have similar problems right now. My current girlfrind is having a baby, meanwhle I already have 2 other support orders in place. I intend for my current girlfriend to ask for a ridiculously large sum of child support (I will agree) to which in turn I can submit to the other state courts asking for a reduction based on the new support order. My ex does not need the money either, she is only bleeding me out of spite from the separation. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether ot not we can still get married.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support for child out of wedlock [ 8 Answers ]

My friend has been dating a man who is a millionaire(really) for two years. He is married and has two kids with wife. He has been financially supporting her all this time. Her role was to be available to jet set the world with him at a moments notice and of course look good and sleep with him. ...

Child support [ 15 Answers ]

Could someone please explain to me what child support is to be used for

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Child support [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were eustatic when his ex girlfriend announced that she intended to end the child support because his son is usually here with us. She isn't sure how to end the case though. Should she call the child support enforcement or the court house to drop the case? Any help you can give...

Child Support [ 2 Answers ]

My divorce decree states that my ex-husband was to pay child support to my child school. He was not paying the tuition and I could no longer afford to pay it so I took my child out of private school. My ex-husband randomly pays support and nowhere near what the court order stipulated. Can I get...

View more questions Search