Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mnmdxn3's Avatar
    mnmdxn3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 5, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Can my 401k be seized when I retire? If I still owe child support when I retire?
    I recently found out that a girl I had been with in high school had my child after she had moved to another city. That was 20 years ago, and I am paying for the back support and interest. The court forgave the late penalties since I didn't know about the child. I need to know if, when I retire, can/will the state take my 401k and/or social security?
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,494, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

    Mar 5, 2010, 05:38 PM

    Where did this happen... I've never heard of them being able to come after you to pay for raising a kid 20 years after the fact.

    5 years.. 10 years later yes... not after they are legaly adults. The courts could have notified you within a reasonible time. After all... you are tracible due to the fact you pay taxes, and they could have found you if they ever tried.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Mar 5, 2010, 05:57 PM

    Yes, did you not hire an attorney and fight for the payments. Normally hey can't collect the full amount if no attempts to collect were ever made before.

    Social security is income and you will be expected to pay from it
    morgaine300's Avatar
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

    Mar 5, 2010, 10:11 PM

    This all sounds weird to me too. I'd definitely hire an attorney.

    Not to mention that, while I think child support is a good thing from the standpoint of taking care of what you created, it doesn't seem fair at all when you didn't even know the child existed, could therefore have no contact with said child (which you had a right to have)... and to come back after 20 years trying to collect it? It seems more like the old girlfriend is just trying to find a way to get some money. Why did she wait 20 years?

    (I have seen back child support collected after the child was 18, but it was always a case that was already on-going - i.e. that started when the kid was a kid. I used to do payroll, so I've seen my share of child support garnishments. I've also seen them screw up a lot of stuff, sadly a lot of times screwing over the child support payer.)
    morgaine300's Avatar
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

    Mar 5, 2010, 10:15 PM
    P.S. Is there some proof that you're even the father?
    thomasjbell's Avatar
    thomasjbell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 9, 2012, 02:12 PM
    I just got termiadted from my job , I owe child support can they take it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanting to retire. [ 1 Answers ]

I am 62. Laid off from job of 16 yrs. Moved from Wis. To NC when unemployment ran out. Having trouble finding work here now. If I take the early retirement now they would reduce my payments by 25%. Will that go back up when I turn 66. Says I would receive 700.00. With reduction, that would be...

Retire at 55 [ 1 Answers ]

I heard someone say if I am laid off or out of work and want to retire at 55 years old, then I don't have to pay 10% penalty on the 401K withdrawal. Is this true ? Of course, I will pay fed and state taxes on it.

Will I ever get to retire [ 6 Answers ]

I am tired mentaly and physical. Passable emotionally too. I see no future. Please tell me what you see I graduated in 74 born in 56

View more questions Search