Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ldr628's Avatar
    ldr628 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 14, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Texas Tax Refund
    I live in Texas and I have a credit card judgement against me. When I received the judgement papers my husband was very ill and ended up in the hospital, so I didn't respond to the judgement Can they take money out of my checking account, or my income tax refund, or garnish my wages. Any help would be appreciated.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Jan 14, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Hello Linda:

    The answer to all three of your questions, is yes.

    The only help I can offer you is to suggest that you go in either one of two directions. You either need to (1), make yourself judgment proof by quitting your job, closing your bank accounts, and giving away your real estate. Or, (2), go the other direction and pay the bill. There isn't a third alternative.

    You're going to need cash. You already had a payment plan with them, and that didn't work. You may not have a great deal of wiggle room. With their judgment, they can just sit around and collect it ALL. You had a lot more wiggle room BEFORE they got the judgment, but that's another story.


    PS> (edited) I see that you're from Texas. Texas has a law that says they CAN'T garnish your wages. That's good news for you. You don't have to quit your job. But, they can still empty your bank accounts, and seize your property. That's not good for you.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 14, 2007, 09:50 AM
    I will say this, unless they changed the laws recently in Texas they can not garnish your wages, that was not allowed the last time I lived in TX.

    They can get your bank accounts. Income tax is harder but a I do suggest that people ( anyone) not set up the government to hold your money, you should be doing your weekly withholdings where you don't get back much at the end of the year anyway, but that is your choice, it is like a no interest saving plan.
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Jan 14, 2007, 01:49 PM
    Yes, yes and yes. Once they have a judgment against you, they can pursue any and all means to get the money out of you, including all the things you've mentioned.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax Refund for International Students [ 8 Answers ]

Hey, A lot of my friends and myself are under the impression that international students on J1 / F1 get a full tax refund. I am not sure if this is completely true. I am from India on J1 and under academic training and hence giving a lot of taxes. Also, if you have used any professional /...

Refund social security tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the refund of social security tax that withhold from my wage if I am an F1 student? Which form should I use? Thanks a lot.

Tax Refund Error - help please [ 2 Answers ]

I was living outside of the US for part of the last tax year; I filed an extension. On Friday my refund was direct deposited into my checking account. I was supposed to get $1850.00, instead I got $18.50. I've tried to get ahold of the IRS, US Treasury, my bank, everyone I can think of; I've had...

F1 in Oklahoma-OPT in Texas-H1B in Texas [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all!!!:) First at all, this is a great forum! I've been reading a lot of posts, and they are very very useful. Now I got a question for the tax experts and non-experts too:p!! This is my case: I was studying and working as a Teacher Assistant in Oklahoma from 08.26.02 to 03.06.05....

View more questions Search