Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Bobrig's Avatar
    Bobrig Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 26, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Social Security Tax Lien
    The IRS has levied my SS benefits because of an unpaid tax. They take 15% each month. The levy was done before the 10 yr. statute for collection expired. Can the IRS continue this levy indefinitely even after the 10 years are up? I have no other income or property.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Apr 26, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Hello Bob:

    As long as they levied before the statute was up, and they did. Once they did that, the 10 year statute has nothing to do with your case anymore.

    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,302, Reputation: 7692

    Apr 26, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Yes, the statue of limitation is from the time of the debt, to the time they file for a judgement to garnish your pay ( or in the case of the IRS merely garnish) But judgements once issued are good for 10 years from the time of the judgement and normally can be renewed for another 10.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social security tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working last August during the OPT period after graduation. My H-1 was approved and stated to begin on Nov16th 2004. But my company here has been deducting social security tax right from the start date of employment. I am under the impression that the when you are in OPT and...

Social Security and Medical Tax [ 1 Answers ]

My pastor wants to pay social security and medical tax on his Housing Allowance every quarter, and he lives in GA. Which form he need to use and where he need to send the form and money? I am helping him for working on church's accounting, but I don't know the answer. Please help. Thank you.

Refund social security tax [ 1 Answers ]

Can I get the refund of social security tax that withhold from my wage if I am an F1 student? Which form should I use? Thanks a lot.

Social security tax and medical tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi The following is my visa status I came to us in aug 2002 under f1 visa and started my opt feb 2005 and I changed my visa to h1b (oct 2005). After going through the IRS website , I came to a conclusion that I am a non resident alien. So I decided to go with 1040NR-EZ. Now I have a...

Claiming social security tax for F-1 [ 1 Answers ]

I am on an f1 visa and worked during 2004. I have complete the 1040nr-ez and my state tax forms. However, my W-2 says that I had paid social security tax and Medicare tax. Since I am on an F1 visa I am not required to pay this tax. So how can I claim this tax amount? Which additional forms...

View more questions Search