Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    dbek's Avatar
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4
    Junior Member

    Nov 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Social Security office giving out private information!
    I wasn't sure what law section to put this in-so I put it here. This has cause so much problem for us. To explain a little bit more. We adopted a child about 3 years ago-she gets an SSI check each month. Anyhow, we had to put my daughter in residential treatment to get her help (she is biopolar, ADHD, OD, & has attachment disorder. The social security office sent a letter to him instead of us stating that they requisted to be her payee. (which we had agreed to do, and had no problem with it). For for the frustrating part, the ex-father has caused so many problems for us we even had to move and change our phone #. He had no ideal where we lived. But now because of the social security office mistake he knows where she is at and has tried a couple times requesting to see her saying he is her father. He also drives my the residential treatment center. It's so hard on my family-we may end up moving again or having to do something different with her. Is there anything I can do against the social security office so this doesn't happen to someone else? There excuse was to me-was that the computer generated, they admitted to the mistake. We just want to have a normal life.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Nov 18, 2006, 11:15 AM
    Hello dbek:

    Yeah, bureaucrats make mistakes. And no, you're not going to change the SS Administration.

    But, I think you've got bigger problems - her father. DID he approve of the adoption? Doesn't sound like it. IF he did, then you can file for a restraining order that will keep him away from you. But, he doesn't sound like a father who doesn't care, and if he wants to find you, he can WITHOUT the government's help. You can't hide from him.

    This is hard on YOUR family?? What about him? He's the dad. You're going to have to fix this, and I have no idea how.

    dbek's Avatar
    dbek Posts: 74, Reputation: 4
    Junior Member

    Nov 18, 2006, 12:45 PM
    No he's not the dad, he gave up the rights 3 years ago. His rights wer terminated. He was unable to take care of her and dhs would have taken her if we didn't. We've tried many attempts to make him a part of the family but he always did things behind our back and only thought of himself, not what was in the best interest of the child! He willing gave up his rights...
    velvetjones's Avatar
    velvetjones Posts: 78, Reputation: 11
    Junior Member

    Nov 20, 2006, 11:53 AM
    If he has no legal visitation rights, shouldn't you inform the treatment center that he doesn't, provide verification, and tell them he is not allowed to see her? They should have some kind of privacy and security policy! Even daycare centers and schools have policies regarding who is allowed to see and/or pick-up children.
    As far as the SSA goes, I have nothing nice to say about them. The only thing you can do is try to get the name of the person that "generated" the letter and write a formal complaint. Also, you should inform the SSA of any changes of address or other kinds of changes so that they will hopefully process them ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Social Security and Medicare [ 7 Answers ]

Reply to My question The withholding of Social Security and Medicare taxes from the employee is the sole responsibility of the employer. If he fails to do it, the employer becomes responsible to pay both the employer's and the employee's share of the Social Security and Medicare taxes. The...

Social security benefits [ 6 Answers ]

My husband received a :p fully favoriable decision on SSDI not ssi. He has worked since he was 17 years old. Anyway he is disabled and ssa award his disability to him July 27, 2006 and it is know October 19, 2006 and he has not received nothing from them. He is suppose to receive 4 years of...

Social security refund [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I are citizens of India. We've been green card holders for 2+ yrs now. If we decide to go back to India next year, essentially giving up our green cards, can we get a refund of the social security amount (the principal we have been paying) when we go back? We should be...

Reclaim Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I changed my visa status from F1 to H1-B as of September 29, 2005. Do I need to pay Social security and Medicare taxes for the month of September. I had a talk with my employer as regards this and they claimed that they had deducted above taxes from my salary since I was on H1-b visa for...

View more questions Search