Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    riosales's Avatar
    riosales Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Slander and Defamation of Character
    I would like to know if I can sue my husbands x-wife for stating on paper through her attorney that I have called her daughter a lesbian. Also, for stating that I have tried to cause her child harm by sending elicit pictures of her daughter to the school she attends.

    All these are wrongful and hurtful statements. Is there any recourse?
    otto186's Avatar
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14
    Junior Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 06:15 PM
    I don't know what state you are in but if these aligations are found to be exaggerated and false I am sure you can take legal action against her. You will have to talk to a attorney.
    GlindaofOz's Avatar
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 06:21 PM
    Typically slander or defamation of character have to be with statements made in public. There usually has to be a proven character that is being defamed (if I remember this correctly, I could be remembering wrong). If these statements were made in court documents you could speak to your lawyer about how her statements were false and see what else could be done
    s_cianci's Avatar
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

    Aug 5, 2007, 06:24 PM
    If you have suffered measurable damages as a result and can prove it, then yes, you can sue.
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,379, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

    Aug 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Lets face it, anyone can sue anyone for almost anything. That does not mean they will win or not get sued for harassment. You have not stated any damages to to you other than maybe feelings a or reputation. You may be better off the drop this line of thinking.
    HelpfulHubby's Avatar
    HelpfulHubby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 6, 2007, 11:35 PM
    Depending on the state, usually statements made in court documents are considered privileged and thus there can be no claim slander/libel. Also, if the statements are true, then there is no claim for slander/libel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does this constitute DEFAMATION of character? [ 3 Answers ]

I went into work today and was handed a copy of a Girls Gone Wild DVD that was made FIVE YEARS AGO. The label read: GIRLS GONE WILD:2003 "MY NAME" "MY TITLE AT WORK AND THE LOCATION OF THE STORE" A customer apparently passed out these copies last night in the store. I was so humiliated, I...

If I let people know who my molester is, is that Defamation of Character? [ 16 Answers ]

I want to know if I tell people who molested me if that would be defamation of character. We go to the same school and have some friends in common. This person formed a cult that I WAS NOT involved in. They trapped me in a basement and tortured a molested me for 6 hours. (Intent to kill. I was not...

Defamation of Character [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering if I can counter-sue for defamation of character and slander for this situation. I responded to a person's house who called police. Upon arriving there the person was uncooperative. He decided that he did not want the police there anymore and in order for him to shut...

Defamation of character [ 6 Answers ]

If someone that works at the front desk of my apartment building calls me a "bad tenant" while on the phone with someone that called to leave a message for me, is that considered defamation of character?

View more questions Search