Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kallyb Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2007, 01:16 PM
    Served for Credit Card Debt
    I was served last week from a law firm for an old debt of about $1700. It says if I do not reply within 20 days I will be sent a date to show up in court. What exactly is it that I need to do within this time frame? If I plan to attend my hearing do I just not reply and show up? I dont have an attorney to represent me and am so confused as how to even begin to take care of this. Can I contact the original creditor in hopes they will allow me to now set up a payment plan? I cannot even find a phone number for the law firm that this came from. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2007, 01:18 PM
    If You Don't Send Notice Of Intend To Defend, They Will By Default Obtain A Judgment Against You. If That Happens, They Can Attach Your Wages And Or Banking Accounts.

HOW OLD IS THE ALLEGED DEBT, IS IT YOURS, HAS IT BEEN VERIFIED.

May 24, 2007, 08:21 AM
    Thanks for answering! The debt is only about 1.5 years old and yes, it is mine. So I must reply to the papers I was served? Do I do this by going to small claims? I planned on filing for bankruptcy anyway so is it even worth it to begin paying on this while saving the money to pay my bankruptcy lawyer?

May 24, 2007, 10:41 AM
    ... follow-up - I called the law office to see if they would be willing to accept any type of payment to keep this out of the court and they said "any payment option from here on out would be null and void." OK. Well at least I tried. Going to submit my Appearance and Answer Form, but do I choose admit or deny?
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Never admit always deny, they have to prove it, not you.

Demand to see the original contract you signed, and remember when you go to court for the hearing , if only a attorney shows up, move to dismiss, the court will lack jurisdiction. You have the right to cross examine the plaintiff and attorney cannot testify for their client (Hearsay)

May 24, 2007, 10:53 AM
    You are helping so much, thanks! The packet of papers I was served contains a COPY of my original agreement and credit application. Gosh I hope I know what to do when I am actually in court without an attorney. I wanted to contact my bankruptcy lawyer, but I haven't paid him my fees for filing yet so figure he wouldn't want to help.
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 10:55 AM
    If only the attorney shows up for the hearing , move to dismiss first thing.

No plaintiff, no case, no original contract, no claim

May 24, 2007, 11:40 AM
    I have also heard that in a lot of cases the attorney or plaintiff won't show and I should again move to dismiss? Is this right? Should I have written letters for both situations prior to showing up for court? : )
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Yes, Move to court to dismiss with prejudice if neither show. Not a postpondment, dismiss
    LadyB Posts: 320, Reputation: 42

May 24, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Do most companies actually show up for such small debts? Seems like it would cost more to go to court than the debt collected in this case. I never heard of anyone actually getting a real court date... just lots of stories about scare tactics, like having you "served".

Anyway if you are in bankruptcy, your attorney should be able to contact the debt holder. Worst case scenario, you go to court and state you are in the process of bankruptcy.

May 24, 2007, 03:54 PM
    I was wondering why I got served so quickly (even though it was a year) on such a small amount... including all the fees and such it is only aroiund $1500. I have heard different things to do. I am in the process of filing, but I cannot actually use that to get out of this since I have not yet paid my retainer fees. Guess I am going to answer to the papers and hope to not go to trial and like you said, if I do then can say that is the route I am going to have to go. Thanks for all your help!
    Cajun1941 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyB
    Do most companies actually show up for such small debts? Seems like it would cost more to go to court than the debt collected in this case. I never heard of anyone actually getting a real court date...just lots of stories about scare tactics, like having you "served".

Anyway if you are in bankruptcy, your attorney should be able to contact the debt holder. Worst case scenario, you go to court and state you are in the process of bankruptcy.

Just wanted to say that I received a summons for a SOL credit card. Answered the complaint and not even 2 weeks later I received a court date for a trial not some sort of pretrial. So anything can happen. Good luck.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun1941
    Just wanted to say that I received a summons for a SOL credit card. Answered the complaint and not even 2 weeks later I received a court date for a trial not some sort of pretrial. So anything can happen. Good luck.

This is a May 2007 post - should be closed down

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Summons served for credit card collection [ 14 Answers ]

My husand was just served a summons last night (4-4-07)for a credit card collection. The company is suing for $5551. But instead of small claims they are suing him in a civil case. This collection was charged off in 2005. So the SOL is not up in our state( california).he received a letter 2-1-07...

Served a judgement for credit card debt [ 8 Answers ]

Hi there, I was served a judgement this morning for credit card debt for about 4500$. There is no option for a court date to dispute this. I haven't spoken to these people before nor have I received any written letters. I do not believe the debt is mine. Here is my hangup though, I have 30...

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Court papers served on a paid credit card bill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond back to the superior court on a summons that I have paid the bill in full. I have a letter written by the collection agent that states that I have paid this amount in full. What court papers do I need to fill out because they have requested "a written response in proper legal...

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

View more questions Search