Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keralyna Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2013, 11:34 AM
    How does one serve a subpoena
    Custody battle. Need to subpoena two individuals who will testify on my behalf. Both need to be subpoenaed for work purposes. I am representing myself. I have the forms from the clerk filled out, but cannot locate absolute fact on how to deliver the subpoenas. Do I need to pay for a sheriff in my county to serve each of them or am I able to serve them in person or by mail?

Thank you!
    K.A.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 29, 2013, 11:41 AM
    What state do you live in as service varies by where you live. Most of the time the courts want to see a third party involved when mailing (service by mail) or personal service (being handed to the actual party).

May 29, 2013, 12:08 PM
    California, county of Orange. Witnesses reside in same state, but counties of Los Angeles and San Diego. Court date is 6/4. Orange County Family Court, Orange County, Ca.

Thanks!

KA
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

May 29, 2013, 12:46 PM
    Then I would use a third party and have them personally served as well as serve them by mail along with proof of service.

You can call process servers around you and see how much they want and be sure to get all the documentation that goes with it.

May 29, 2013, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    Then I would use a third party and have them personally served as well as serve them by mail along with proof of service.

You can call process servers around you and see how much they want and be sure to get all the documentation that goes with it.

Great. Will do. Thanks much!

KA
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 29, 2013, 02:52 PM
    If it's good personal service mail is not necessary - I would be very certain that the process server you select realizes this is part of a matrimonial action. I own a process service company in NY. I am wary about service which can only be made at a person's workplace and would discuss that "problem" with you. I am not saying you fit into the category, but it is not uncommon for people to want other people served wherever/whenever service will be most embarrassing. An employer or property owner can also "throw" a process server off a property - just so you know.

Does the subpoena (duces tecum?) have to be approved/signed by a Judge? Do you need/have an index number?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is subpoena [ 3 Answers ]

What going to happened if we receive a subpoena and both of us don't show up to the court.

Subpoena in IL [ 3 Answers ]

The local sheriff has been attempting to serve my husband with a subponea. He does not have a set schedule and therefore does not come home at a certain time / day. They have showed up 3 times now trying to serve him. Each time I have told them that his schedule is not set so I don't know when...

James can serve 10 customers in 5 minutes. Peter can serve 5 customers in 10 mintues. [ 3 Answers ]

James can serve 10 customers in 5 minutes. Peter can serve 5 customers in 10 mintues. Working together, how many customers can they serve in 30 minutes.

I got a subpoena , do I have to go [ 13 Answers ]

Today I got a subpoena to court. It involves my neighbors who recently divorced. The husband wants his tools or something. do i really have to go? I mean my testimony won't make or break the case. I think its bull that the people in our neighborhood have to lose a days pay For other...

Subpoena for someone else [ 2 Answers ]

Someone just handed me a subpoena for someone else who lives with me (my fiance). Can they do that? They told me to call him and tell him he has court on Monday when I told them he would not be back until Tuesday!! Do I have to track him down?? :eek:

View more questions Search