Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Heiditiger Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 10:06 AM
    Rented House was Crime Scene not Disclosed.
    I am renting a house and subletting 4 rooms to pay for the rent. My tenants and I just found out the house we are living in was used in a crime involving the beating death of 2 children.
    I rent the rooms by the week and all my tenants have left because of the crimes being committed in the house.

I can no longer pay the rent without renters. I have no renters because of the history of the house. No one wants to live in a house where 2 children were killed.

What rights do I have? I want out of my lease and I want my deposit back.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Hello Heidi:

I don't think you can get out of your lease because of those reasons, and I don't think you should have let your renters out of theirs.

What grounds did you tenants give you? Give the same ones to your landlord, but I'll bet he isn't going to buy it.

excon
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 13, 2007, 06:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Heiditiger
    I am renting a house and subletting 4 rooms to pay for the rent. My tenants and I just found out the house we are living in was used in a crime involving the beating death of 2 children.
    I rent the rooms by the week and all my tenants have left because of the crimes being committed in the house.

I can no longer pay the rent without renters. I have no renters because of the history of the house. No one wants to live in a house where 2 children were killed.

What rights do I have? I want out of my lease and I want my deposit back.
    Call one of the larger local real estate offices and ask the broker if this falls under the disclosure law. I think it does. Be sure to state that the deaths were violent, not of natural causes. Please let us know what the realtor tells you. In the mean time, I will do a bit more research.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 13, 2007, 09:17 PM
    At least in our state, crimes that happen in the past in a home is not part of the disclousre, esp in rental there are few disclouse laws for renters.

** I am a licensed real estate agent in our state.

So you rent it to new renters, many houses have deaths that happen in them,
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Feb 14, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Rarely is this type of event required to be disclosed in a lease or sale... it does not EFFECT the property.

VERIFY that the event actually took place by reviewing newspaper archives.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspended underwater scene 90's toy [ 10 Answers ]

I am going nuts trying to find a toy from the 90's. It is a kit that comes with a small tank and you mix some sort of gelatin solution and create an underwater scene with a mermaid and all that jazz supended in the gel. I remember the commercials and I need to find out what they were called. Google...

Very Vague Description of scene in movie.. hoping to find title [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone name the movie this scene may have come from?. Two cops walk into an old house. A record player is playing, antiques decorate the front room. The cops are overwhelmed with pungent odor exuding from dining room... Upon entering they discover a family (older people) of rotted corpses ,...

Rented appt [ 9 Answers ]

My mom rented an apartment for me last year in January the utilities are in my name and I have made all the rental payments until this month. My rent was late this month and the landlord who is aware that I live in the unit not my mom called to inform my mom that the rent was late and my mom had...

Someone rented my equipment - and won't give it back [ 7 Answers ]

I'm an amateur filmmaker (mostly as a hobby), and when I'm not using my equipment, I occasionally rent it out to other local amateur filmmakers. I have a rental agreement form the renter needs to fill out, and do my best to evaluate the renter before letting the equipment go. Last week I rented...

Leaving the scene - insurance wants me to pay up [ 7 Answers ]

Hello from Minnesota I hit another car that was stopped on an on ramp at about 20 miles an hour. I left the scene of the accident and drove home. (Yes I know this was not the right thing to do). The police came to my door and saw me but I did not answer the door. A month went by with no notice,...

View more questions Search