Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    march357 Posts: 13, Reputation: 4

Jan 29, 2007, 08:14 PM
    What happens after death.
    Not sure if the first time I asked this if it went through...
    What happens after a person dies(in the stae of Maine) to their debt? Is the family responsible for the debt? Does that vary state to state? I would appreciate any help. Thanks so much.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2007, 08:23 PM
    The estate is used to pay any outstanding debts. If there is not enough to cover the debt, then there is nothing to do. The family is not responsible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 08:48 PM
    In general as scott mentioned, except for man and wife, if the person dies, his property, money in the bank, his car are all part of the estate

So the bills are paid from that, if needed the house and other property would be sold to pay these bills. After all of the estate is gone, if there are still bills, they just don't get paid. The state would have rules as to which bills need to be paid first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death [ 5 Answers ]

. Assume the body is buried in a casket and exhumed five years later for a medical test. If the biceps brachii muscle was examined microscopically, what might can we to find and why?

Death [ 3 Answers ]

Y do I feel like my life will come to an end soon? This is a constant thought I have threw out everyday since I was 18 and now I'm 27. I feel like I'm cheating death because I avoid a lot of things. The more I do nothing the least chance I have of death by accident. I would love to pass over I'm...

Cause of death [ 4 Answers ]

A friend's death was classified as cocaine poisoning (i.e. overdose), due to 3.0 mg/L of benzoylecgonine in her blood, collected from the aorta post-mortem. The autopsy report said she had received a blow to the abdomen prior to death, causing a ruptured spleen and the loss of an estimated 500 cc...

Have You Had a Near Death Experience? [ 3 Answers ]

Presented below is my "near death" experience. Those of you who have truly had one, please share your experience. Dr. O.S. Hawkins used to say, "An inward impression, without an outward expression, is depression." That's part of the reason why I wanted to share with you the "near death"...

My Moms Death [ 7 Answers ]

Im 14 years old and my mom died on July 21, 2005. She and my dad were both alcoholics and she died only a couple months after my sister and I moved into my grandparents and my dad started his recovery. My mom lived in South Carolina and I lived w/ my dad, brother, and sister in California. She had...

View more questions Search