Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maddy29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2011, 11:51 AM
    Who is responsible to pay for damages caused by water leak?
    I live in a ground floor flat in Scotland and due to a fault of upstairs there was a water leak which damaged my bedroom ceiling. I made a claim on my home insurance which is with Bank of Scotland. Unfortunately I had a large policy excess of £500, so I had to contribute £500 to the work done.

I was expecting to get this back since the incident was not my fault in any way. To my shock I was later told that because the cause of leak from upstairs was not negligence, my insurance provider will not be able to claim back the excess from the upstair person's insurance provider. I really was not expecting this and can't quite understand it. Surely I should not have to be out of pocket for non-fault claims, like is the case with car insurance policys? Appreciate any advice you can provide. What I'd like to know is whether there is a way for me to get back the £500 excess I paid or whether there is simply nothing I can do about it? Also the leaking has started again and they are not taking it seriously, what shall I do in this case?

Check out some similar questions!

Am I responsible for damages done to my empty parked car if it was hit by and insured [ 1 Answers ]

If my car is uninsured and is parked and empty and an insured driver hits it isn't he responsible to pay for the damages whether I am insured or not?

Should I be responsible for mitigating my damages when no one told us. [ 2 Answers ]

I was in a car accident. The other driver went in reverse and hit the front of my van. He totalled the front and admitted fault. His insurance company did not contact me for 2 weeks after the accident. They only contacted me once they received the police report. The other driver had our contact...

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

Who's responsible for home damages [ 1 Answers ]

A handyman was replacing my roof, he covered the roof and left. Later a severe thunderstorm came lifting a portion of the tarp and caused damage to a portion of the house. Is the handyman responsible for the cost of the damages due to the storm? Or do I need to prove he was negligent?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.