Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheDyerz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 09:13 AM
    Employer served with information subpoena
    My employer was served with an information subpoena from a law firm yesterday and they want information on my salary, bank accts, etc to in order to process a wage garnishment. The law firm gives a court index number and says that a judgement was entered against me 10/17/06. I called my county clerk and they said papers were filed but it looks like it hasn't gone before a judge and they checked the system and can't locate any judgement against me thus far. Therefore, is my employer LEGALLY required to submit my financial information to this law firm? Can he request a courty ordered subpoena of information so that way my info goes to the court instead of directly to them? Lastly, if the clerk can not locate a judgement against me, is it safe to say there isn't one?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDyerz View Post
    ... Therefore, is my employer LEGALLY required to submit my financial information to this law firm?
    Yes, unless you apply for and obtain an order to quash the subpoena.

Can he request a courty ordered subpoena of information so that way my info goes to the court instead of directly to them?
    No, but you could request it.

I suppose you should show how you would be harmed, should they obtain the information in advance of a judgment. What you are suggesting is that the information be sealed pending further order of the court.

Lastly, if the clerk can not locate a judgement against me, is it safe to say there isn't one?
    Yes.

It looks like they are simply trying to obtain the information they will need when they do get a judgment. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this.
    Hello The:

Lawyer is right. There is nothing wrong with what the law firm is doing. They're serving their client's needs. YOU, and/or your employer, however, have no obligation to make it easier for them to collect. In fact, if it's not a court ordered subpoena, and your employer provides them with your personal information, you can sue your employer.

Now, I don't know how much research your employer is willing to go through, or whether they're going to seek legal advice before they make the disclosure, but I'd certainly let them know where you stand on the matter. I'd write them a certified letter, return receipt requested, informing them of your position.

excon
    TheDyerz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    Yes, unless you apply for and obtain an order to quash the subpoena.

No, but you could request it.

I suppose you should show how you would be harmed, should they obtain the information in advance of a judgment. What you are suggesting is that the information be sealed pending further order of the court.

Yes.

It looks like they are simply trying to obtain the information they will need when they do get a judgment. Frankly, I don't see anything wrong with this.

I don't have a problem with him supplying salary information, but I do not want my bank information released prematurely. Also, I spoke with a lawyer and he told me if a creditor sends a false legal document claiming there is a judgement against me when the case hasn't been before a judge yet, it violates rules set forth in the FDCPA. Just like the creditor has rights, so does the consumer.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 02:10 PM
    I don't have a problem with him supplying salary information, but I do not want my bank information released prematurely. Also, I spoke with a lawyer and he told me if a creditor sends a false legal document claiming there is a judgement against me when the case hasn't been before a judge yet, it violates rules set forth in the FDCPA. Just like the creditor has rights, so does the consumer.
    So what did this lawyer say to do with this false legal document that the creditor is sending to you? Is the lawyer willing to file a lawsuit against that creditor on your behalf? If that lawyer is correct then it would be a slam dunk lawsuit and you could win some $$$. If he is not willing to file a suit on your behalf it sounds like he's blowing hot air into his smoke rings.

I'd tell your company to ignore the paperwork until it has a Judge's Order of Judgment under it's belt and then comply with the Order and not until then.

These days creditors are literally going out of their way to "dream up" new and improved quasi legal scams/ways to make a debtor pay up. That one sounds new to me. They want your company to do their work for them and make it worse than easy to collect from you. Don't make it so easy for them to pick your bank account or your pocketbook. Make 'em work for their money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Information devulged by employer [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a company and have a delivery route (rental of uniforms ,the customers takes the same delivery every week as does all my other accounts)and my employer has put my full name on the invoice without my consent(my customers have seen me week in week out for 5 plus years)I have told them I...

Can a subpoena with private information be given to another person to pass along? [ 20 Answers ]

In the state of NY, an officer tried to serve a subpoena to my cousin who is supposedly a witness to a crime. He, the witness, is a controlled informant. The subpoena had his CI number on it but I don't believe his name was on it. I was right there when we arrived and I heard his landlord say that...

Subpoena information [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend going through a really difficult time right now and I was hoping to help him get some answers so I apologize ahead of time for this being so long. My friend lives in Southern California and is going through a nasty divorce right now and they have an adorable five year old son who...

Subpoena papers being served [ 3 Answers ]

If a processor knocks on your door to serve papers but your legal name is not on it (ex. Thomas and name is really tom or Victoria and your legal name is Vicki) do you have to take the papers?

Obtaining information about person via subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am in toronto and I bought an item from craigslist and paid the person via email transfer. The person dissappers and refuses to email me. I do have his cell phone number which offcourse he never picks up now.. So I have 2 ways to trace him. 1) the Email transfer website which may give...

View more questions Search