Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    reallystupid Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 09:03 PM
    Caught shoplifting, got a civil demand and no criminal charges.
    I was caught shoplifting this week at a department store in Toronto, Ontario. My first offense, I'm 21. I'm totally grieft strucken, I cannot even explain to anyone how I feel. So what happened was, they caught me when I left the store, called the cops, but decided not to press charges on me, and only gave me a sheet to sign saying that they will charge me civilly for $300. After researching online about civil demands and recoveries, I noticed that sometimes the company can later charge you criminally. I'm trying to get this all over and done with without my parents finding out for obvious reasons. Can anyone please tell me, if they told me they weren't going to charge me criminally and we settled on civilly and the fine, what are the chances of them decided later on to charge criminally? I have a clean record, my first offense, and totally remorseful.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 09:09 PM

I did read another post here of someone that said that happened to them. I haven't been able to find the post since.

I would agree to pay them under the condition that they sign a release form along with a receipt stating they will not later charge you.

Aug 6, 2009, 09:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I did read another post here of someone that said that happened to them. I haven't been able to find the post since.

I would agree to pay them under the condition that they sign a release form along with a receipt stating they will not later charge you.
    Well, if you find that post, please let me know asap!
    Also, is that possible to sign a form stating they won't charge me? Where do I get the release form? But I still don't understand the condition of which they would decide to charge me later when I wasn't charged in the first place.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 09:35 PM

A release form would say that they agree that by accepting your payment they agree that they will take no further action.

Aug 6, 2009, 09:40 PM
    A release form would say that they agree that by accepting your payment they agree that they will take no further action.
    REALLY? Where do I get this release form? Is it guaranteed to be in my letter? But what if the civil demand already comes with a letter stating the criminal charges? Then it's too late is it?
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 04:16 AM

If it comes with it then you may be better off just going to court and letting the Judge deal with it. If it goes to court tell the Judge that they are requiring you to pay.
    According to the post I can't find the OP said that they paid then they ended up in court. The OP mentioned it after the court determination and they said you should never have paid that.
    I think you can just write up a letter stating they received your money and agree that no further action will be taken.

Aug 7, 2009, 07:15 AM
    If it comes with it then you may be better off just going to court and letting the Judge deal with it. If it goes to court tell the Judge that they are requiring you to pay.
    According to the post I can't find the OP said that they paid then they ended up in court. The OP mentioned it after the court determination and they said you should never have paid that.
    I think you can just write up a letter stating they received your money and agree that no further action will be taken.
    Sorry, I'm a little confused. When you say, "it comes with it" what do you mean, the release form of the charges? And what's an OP?
    I just want to know the chances of this happening. What has a higher possibility, me paying the civil demand or me finding out I'll have criminal charges that WEREN'T given to me it happened?
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by reallystupid View Post
    But what if the civil demand already comes with a letter stating the criminal charges?
    =if it comes with it
    that is what I was referring to.

Aug 7, 2009, 09:40 PM
    =if it comes with it
    that is what I was refering to.
    Thanks for your help. But where do I find the release form?
    sostupid Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
    May I ask what happened? Now that's its been a few months.. did they criminally charge you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting, will they press charges [ 2 Answers ]

I recently got caught trying to shoplift from a Canadian Tire, I was confronted by the cashier then ran out the door. I felt guilty so I returned to the same cashier 30 minutes later. She told me that she wasn't able to do anything but to talk to the customer service counter. I talked to the clerk...

Civil demand.Employee [ 7 Answers ]

I currently work as management in retail. And the other day while stopping in to buy hair ties, another assistant manager accused me of stealing a pair of earing out of a pack that they sell. I came in, asked where my product of choice was, purchased it and walked out. I was asked to come back in...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search