Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MomofTeen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 02:28 PM
    Teenage with no drivers license had car accident
    My 16 year old daughter with no drivers license drove her 17 year old boyfriends car - he was drunk - she had a fender bender when they slipped on some ice. No police report was filed since it happened at the house where they were having the underage drinking party.(the parents of the party throwers supplied the alcohol for the teenagers!) The boys father now wants me to pay more then the car is worth to repair the scratches, rear tail light and trim from the side of the car. He feels that the 1996 Volkesvagen with 120000 miles on it is worth fixing. What are my legal rights in this matter? I'm not sure where to turn. What can happen to her if this goes to court? Since no police report was filed does the ex-boyfriend (since this happened on new years eve they broke up) have any proof that she was driving?

As a side note, they lied to me about where they were going before they went to this party, she is currently grounded for the next 2 months, no cell phone, no computer, no friends and I'm totally furious and dissapointed with her for making such a stupid decision to drive a car with no license. If we need to make these repairs she will be paying for them.

Thanks for the advice!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Technically (and morally) you are responsible for the damage done to the car. But, no police report means no proof that she was driving. Actually I think the parents who supplied the alcohol share some of the responsibility as well and it wouldn't be the first time a host shared in the liability for an accident that occurred after the fact when the parties involved had been drinking at their home. All the more so in this case since the parents were knowingly allowing minors to consume alcohol in their home. Of course, you can also threaten to turn in the boyfriend for underage drinking ; that may make his father back off, especially if you feel he is trying to milk this for more than the car is worth. The tailight pretty much has to be repaired but the rest sounds like pork.
    MomofTeen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2008, 03:00 PM
    We did offer to replace the tail light and a friend of ours that does body work said he would buff out the scratches and touch up the paint for us and get the replacement trim, the father told me this was not acceptable, so I asked what was and he said he was going to get an estimate for the damages and then hung up on me. I think he's just trying to get money out of us and won't even repair the car. The car is a piece of junk that breaks all the time I really feel they just want money for it so they can buy the kid a better car.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Tell them to see you in court. She is liable for the actual damages only.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MomofTeen
    We did offer to replace the tail light and a friend of ours that does body work said he would buff out the scratches and touch up the paint for us and get the replacement trim, the father told me this was not acceptable, so I asked what was and he said he was going to get an estimate for the damages and then hung up on me. I think he's just trying to get money out of us and won't even repair the car. The car is a piece of junk that breaks all the time I really feel they just want money for it so they can buy the kid a better car.

They do not have to take the car to your friend for repair. Bottom line is whether the car is a piece of junk or not, did your daughter cause the damage? Is the expense of the repair in line with the value of the car (no Court will award $3,000 ion repairs for a $2,000 car)? If she damaged the car she can't pick and chose which part of the damage she will pay for.

Be grateful your daughter only damaged the car and didn't hurt or kill someone.

Possibly the father will take you to Small Claims Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drivers license [ 10 Answers ]

I have been told it is illegal to photo copy a driver's license. Is this true? home owner LA CA

Drivers license! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I'd like to know if ilegal aliens are allowed to apply for a drivers license? Thank you, Philly

Drivers license [ 1 Answers ]

When was the first drivers license in Pa. issued, and when did they start charging for them.

Judgements on drivers license [ 20 Answers ]

Can judgements be placed on your drivers license?

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search