Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunter05 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Paying taxes on realestate
    My grandmother past away in January of 2007. Everything was left to my mother after the probate was over the attorney had the house deeded to me for 10.00. So it was like I had paid my mom 10 dollars for it. Then it was sold. I am wondering if I am going to have to pay taxes on it.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 3, 2007, 01:58 PM
    You are worrying about payng taxes when you only paid l0. For it. I am sure it will all come out in the wash. Have you got a closing statement from your lawyer. I am sure everything you have to pay before you get your payment on closing will be outlined. If you went through a lawyer, he would be the one to disburse all monies owing from the sale.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
    You will pay ZERO tax on the sale, as it was a GIFT from your mother to you.

However, it could be treated as an inheritance from your grandmother to you, with your mother basically renouncing the inheritance in your favor. This is a legal issue, so you best ask the attorney about that. If so, the tax BASIS for the property is the stepped-up Fair Market Value on the date of yor grandmother's death, in which case the costs of the sale will probably completely wipe out any capital gains from the sale. You may have to report the sale using Schedule D, but no taxes should be due.

I am a bit surprised this was not explained to you by the estate's tax consultant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paying taxes is a pleasurable duty [ 11 Answers ]

Bwaaa-ha-ha-ha! So 19 female college students in one of the most liberal areas of the country get pleasure from paying taxes. I think Harbaugh should come and run his study here in the Texas Panhandle. I don't mind paying a fair share of taxes, but I certainly don't enjoy it, do you? Every...

Paying NY and NJ taxes [ 1 Answers ]

My company transferred from NY to NJ mid 2006. I paid NY Sate taxes for 5 months and NJ Sate taxes for 7 months. I'm using Turbo tax and according to the State returns I owe too much. Can I claim back the amount I paid to NY on my NJ return? I do not see anywhere in Turbo Tax where I can do...

Slump in Realestate Market how to negoiate a realestate deal on new house [ 4 Answers ]

Want to purchase a new house which has constructed already which is a year old never Bought by anyone, A realestate is listing the house, however since the realestate market Is in a slump. Want to know the best way to negoiate a good price without paying the fulling asking price for it which...

H1B paying taxes on W2 and 1099 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B status, i.e. I am being paid by my Employer for which I will be paying taxes on W2 Form. I got an opportunity to earn money legally for my services using 1099 form. Am I allowed to pay taxes for the earned income using both W2, 1099 being on H1 B status? I apreciate your...

Paying taxes on inherited annuity [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I were beneficiary of an annuity. I understand we pay taxes on the taxable amount listed in box 2a of the 1099. My question is... do I treat this as income adding it to myearned income and possibly raising my tax bracket, or do I pay taxes based on the earned income bracket? ...

View more questions Search