Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2011, 04:55 PM

I agree with AK. At one time I lived in a 3-story walk up over a store. A fire started in the store and my door was broken down by fireman. The landlord was totally responsible for fixing the door.

The damage was not your fault and you have sufficient proof of that.

On the other hand, if they had broken in and stolen your TV, stereo etc. You would be responsible for replacing them. That's where your renter's insurance comes in. You claim you can't afford it. But can you afford to replace your belongings if stolen or damaged? Renter's insurance is cheap enough that you can't afford to NOT have it.
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Aug 9, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I agree with AK. At one time I lived in a 3-story walk up over a store. A fire started in the store and my door was broken down by fireman. The landlord was totally responsible for fixing the door.

The damage was not your fault and you have sufficient proof of that.

On the other hand, if they had broken in and stolen your TV, stereo etc. You would be responsible for replacing them. That's where your renter's insurance comes in. You claim you can't afford it. But can you afford to replace your belongings if stolen or damaged? Renter's insurance is cheap enough that you can't afford to NOT have it.

We are actually looking at renter's insurance again. My roommate said Allstate called and said they could give us renters along with our car insurance for less than 88 a month. So, we most likely will be getting it.

Thank you for the answers everyone.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2011, 06:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyra123 View Post
    We are actually looking at renter's insurance again. My roommate said Allstate called and said they could give us renters along with our car insurance for less than 88 a month. So, we most likely will be getting it.

Thank you for the answers everyone.
    I work part time for AI. And depending on how much stuff you have say under $20K replacement cost your renter's policy can run sometimes only $200 a year. It goes by your age also. Older folks get lower renter's rates (or so it sems) than younger folks. Have then work up a quote for you so in case you have a problem down the road like an unforseen incident. There is usually a $250 deductible or a $500. The price is not that much different for this - only a few dollars more for the lower one. We have had a rash of apartment building fires here in Ohio that were set by an arsonist and none of the families displaced by these 3 fires had any insurance and are now homeless and belongingless.
    Lyra123 Posts: 184, Reputation: 42

Aug 9, 2011, 10:45 PM

Twinkiedooter, that's terrible!

The three of us range from 19 to 24 and we have about 20K worth of belongings so I hope it isn't too bad.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who is responsible to pay for damages caused by water leak? [ 0 Answers ]

I live in a ground floor flat in Scotland and due to a fault of upstairs there was a water leak which damaged my bedroom ceiling. I made a claim on my home insurance which is with Bank of Scotland. Unfortunately I had a large policy excess of £500, so I had to contribute £500 to the work done. ...

Will the insurance pay for the damages to my car? [ 2 Answers ]

My son was in an accident with my car. He is 17 yrs old and does not have a license. He was ticketed and said to be at fault. I have full coverage insurance on my car. Will the insurance company pay for the damages to my car?

Lesor wants me to pay for damages I don't agree with [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of New Jersey, and completed a lease in an apartment complex in may 2009. I was not required to put down a security deposit upon move-in, spare a 150$ "pet fee" for our cat. We recently received a letter (by regular mail, not certified or the like) explaining that we had 10...

Pay back Rent and damages after eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My tenant has provided all wrong information of the application and now they and inside my house. Deposit check has been bounced and they have declined to coperate and provide any correct information. I have contact local police authorities regarding fraud (wrond ssn, reference, bounced check ect),...

How long does the landlord have to ask me to pay damages? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Washington state, I moved out of an apartment on May 31st of this year. On June 8th I received the standard security deposit letter. It stated that all of the amounts (to be refunded OR charged) were "To be determined" as there was pet damage to the carpet. It stated that a carpet...

View more questions Search