Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cam2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 03:50 PM
    Can my social security disability be garnished by SallieMae to pay student loans.
    I have been receiving social security disability insurance payments for almost two years. These payments are my only source of income. I owe a lot in student loans serviced by SallieMae. Can my disability payments be garnished to pay back the loans?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cam2010 View Post
    I have been receiving social security disability insurance payments for almost two years. These payments are my only source of income. I owe a lot in student loans serviced by SallieMae. Can my disability payments be garnished to pay back the loans?
    I could be wrong, but I believe that student loans are one of the few things that SSI can be garnished for in order to repay. Other things include back taxes, child support, etc.
    shelleyba Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2010, 08:18 PM
    You might want to check more into this but I believe if you have a permanent disability you may be eligible to have your student loans canceled.
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2010, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleyba View Post
    You might want to check more into this but I believe if you have a permanent disability you may be eligible to have your student loans canceled.
    Wrong. Student loans are a debt you owe to the government. Regardless, I don't think I know of any debt that can be "cancelled" simply because you're disabled.

Please take more care when answering on the Law board; in this particular forum, our answers must be accurate. Other forums are more open to opinion being posted as opposed to facts.
    nellytd7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 08:11 PM
    If you are considered total and permanently disabled, you do not have to repay student loans. However, you have to start the process and get a doctor to fill out the appropriate forms.
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 04:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nellytd7 View Post
    If you are considered total and permanently disabled, you do not have to repay student loans. However, you have to start the process and get a doctor to fill out the appropriate forms.
    Please cite your source for this information. Everything I've found says contrary.

Also, please use more discretion when posting - this thread is nearly 1 year old and someone else already posted the incorrect assumption that disability relieves you of your debts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can the IRS keep my back pay for Social Security Disability If I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I owe back federal taxes of approximately $13,000.00. I have a back payment of approximately $20.000.00 coming from Social Security Disability. How much money will the IRS keep of this money if any, and will they notify me before hand

Can my Social security disability be garnished or my account frozen [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons for a credit card debt. I went to legal aid and they said I did not have to court. That the judge would file in favor of the creditor. I also owe state taxes can they garnish my social scurity disability. Could I go bakrupt withoutlosing my home and car... all that I...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

Do F1-visa student pay social security and Medicare Taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

I am F1-visa student. Currently I am working using CPT program. I leave in US for two years. And I am working the same company for two years. Starting from January, 2007 they ask me if I am a citizen for tax purpose and have to pay social security and Medicare taxes. They also sent this link to me....

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am [ 2 Answers ]

F1 student for 7 years, now on OPT, should I pay social security & medicare tax? I am from China. My H-1 may be approved for starting this Oct.

View more questions Search