Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    towerclimber24's Avatar
    towerclimber24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 3, 2008, 03:15 PM
    Payroll check does not have appropriate tax deductions
    I am a Tower Climber out of MA and my boss pays us with company checks yet they do not have any tax withholding information at all shown. He does take taxes out. Our payroll checks are referenced as a BILL. Also I have been paid 40 hour checks in 2 weeks when I have had over 100. This money was promised to me as soon as he could pay it yet I have not seen it. If I do quit or get fired when does the law say he has to pay me and give me my final check? Thanks for any help.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Aug 3, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Are they not giving you any summary, they have to provide you the amount of your deductions. And yes in fact they have to pay you what is properly owed on unless there is a payrool error and then that has to be included on the next paycheck.
    towerclimber24's Avatar
    towerclimber24 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 3, 2008, 03:25 PM
    They provide me no summary at all as to what is being deducted. I was fired this past Friday for not being able to climb the towers anymore due to a motorcyle accident last year where I have metal rods in each arm and 1 in a leg. They knew my condition before I was hired and Hired me as a Foreman. Seems how I could not climb every single day when I was demoted they fired me. I am still owed perdiem and previous paychecks where I was only paid for 40 hour work weeks.
    excon's Avatar
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

    Aug 5, 2008, 06:46 AM
    Hello t:

    If they fire you, they must product a check within 24 hours. If they shorted you before, you're going to have to sue him in small claims court.

    froggy7's Avatar
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

    Aug 5, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Personally, I'd be very concerned about working for a company that isn't showing the tax deductions on the paycheck. Sure, they say they are deducting them, but what are you going to do if it comes tax time and you find out that they haven't? The IRS isn't going to care that you've been relying on them to send the money in... they are going to come after you for it. And I hope that you have proof that you worked the extra hours that you haven't been paid for. Otherwise it's going to be hard to prove in court if it goes that far.
    Emland's Avatar
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

    Aug 5, 2008, 07:32 AM
    I would recommend contacting the employment commission in your state and report what is happening. Sounds like they are playing fast and loose with the payroll taxes which can end up costing you money and causing real problems when you file taxes at year end.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payroll and deductions [ 3 Answers ]

How much money will be deducted from a $760.00 salary claiming one dependent?

Payroll tax deductions [ 1 Answers ]

How do you figure out how much taxes are deducted from your payroll check

View more questions Search