Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    Evicting someone

    Asked May 26, 2007, 09:26 AM 3 Answers
    My ex-boyfriend won't leave my apartment. He does not pay any bills or household expenses. We broke up over 1 month ago and he said he is not leaving until he gets ready. Can't I do something about this? I am trying to evict him. I cannot break my lease and move elsewhere. I am trying to weigh my options because I could move to another apartment in the same complex but does this mean that he has to come too? I thought about changing the locks. Is changing the locks legal when there is another tenant? I would also like to know if evicting another tenant is costly? I really want him out but he knows his rights. What can I do?

    Last edited by sdean; May 26, 2007 at 09:32 AM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    3 Answers
    ballengerb1's Avatar
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,379, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

    May 26, 2007, 09:36 AM
    He established himself as a resident, apparently with your help. If he choses not to leave you must evict him. It does not cost much but you need to get down to the court house and do some homework.
    Helpful (1)
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 80,966, Reputation: 7668

    May 26, 2007, 01:35 PM

    First several issues, is he on the lease. Was he paying any bills at any time, paying 1/2 of the electric or something,
    If he was paying something, he is a tenant,
    If he never paid anything he is a guest
    ** over basic each state has a lot more specific rules, but that gets the idea.

    Ok, in most of American boy and girl break ups, one changes the locks and just kicks the other out, and cares less.

    To evict, you have to give them fomal notice to move out, and if they don't, you file a formal eciction with the court ( costs about 85 dollars to file here) and they serve him and you havve a hearing.

    If he is just a guest, you change the locks and call the police if he tresspasses.
    Helpful (1)
    AngelErica's Avatar
    AngelErica Posts: 7, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Aug 30, 2013, 08:12 AM
    I need my Uncle to Move. The apartment that I reside in use to be my grandmothers. She passed and the Section 8 Voucher switched over to my name. Ever since that happened I told him he can no longer live here. He refuses to move and I'm really unsure of the process that I would have to go through to get him out in Maryland. I want to just change the locks and put his stuff out but I'm hearing I can't do that. Can someone please help me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting 20 yr old son [ 2 Answers ]

My son is my youngest child. He lives with me in my apt. He is on my lease as occupant. He does not work nor does he go to school. He flunked out of one college He enrolled in another for this semester. I paid his tuition and bought his books for one of his courses.

Evicting child [ 2 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away

Evicting 20 yr old son [ 1 Answers ]

What is the law for evicting a 20 year old drug using son in New York City?

Evicting a child who is 18 [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know what are the laws on making a child (18years old) leave your home. We have had problems out of him for about 5 years now and 2 years ago we sent him to military school so he has graduated. He is very defiant and disrespectful. I don't trust some of the people he hangs around with...

Evicting a non renter [ 1 Answers ]

My son's girlfriend moved in with my family when she got pregnant. She has been here for a year now and the relationship is not working out. I have asked her to leave but she refuses. The sherrifs dept. says that I cannot make her leave, I have to evict her. What do I need to do to evict her.

View more questions Search