Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lisa43's Avatar
    lisa43 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Evicting a family member
    Can I evict a my son without going to court?
    TwoMoles's Avatar
    TwoMoles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa43
    can i evict a my son without going to court?
    I wouldn't think that just because it's a family member you can ignore the law. In fact, lots of times, there are MORE regulations when dealing with a family member.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    Jun 19, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Actually no twomoles, if it is a family member who is a adult and they are not paying rent, you just ask them to leave and they have to leave, as for adult children who are not teannats ( paying bills) you can even just change the locks on them. There are a lot of laws, but they all protect the parent from having dead beat kids taking advantage of them.
    TwoMoles's Avatar
    TwoMoles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Actually, I thought of that as I submitted my opinion. When I tried to "edit" it never would let me. I do agree with what you said up to a point. If the family member is renting property you own, you may have to go through the eviction process. What do you think?

    And to really put the pedal to the metal, can you get a restraining order against a family member when you practically live in their backyard, AND it is their home you are renting?

    I think that all of these measures should be abolutely a last resort. It should be used only if you have tried everything else, and the infraction is a very serious one!
    lisa43's Avatar
    lisa43 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 19, 2007, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiritual Protector
    If he is 18+, You can evict him without court. If he is still young, You must have a special reason and it must be attained to psychological or emotional problems. If he is above 18+ and he continues to stay, Take legal action by calling the police. If he is younger then that, Get together with Child Services and work something out.
    According to the laws in the state of Arizona if a child who is 18+ has been there for longer than two weeks. Then you will have to evict through the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult family member [ 6 Answers ]

Tried to help a family member who was down to get back on his feet by giving him a room in my house for almost a year. Now he does not want to leave and makes threat. Gets violent at times. How do I go about getting him out? Your help is greatly appreciated. Babe3530

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

Evicting Family Members [ 1 Answers ]


Evicting a family member [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to find out how I can safely and least painfullly evict a family member (24 years old son) with addiction problem, not serious about finding a job, and very abusive to other family members.

Horrific family member [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, here it is. I live with my aunt who has raised me since I was seven years old, so she is pretty much my parent. She also raised my sister and my brother on and of (him). I have a son who is like her grandson. I moved out to go to college and then I moved back in because I was in a terrible...

View more questions Search